Running Boards for 2016 EL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ranger10

Reaction score
With living up north, where we have snow and ice for about 5-6 months out of the year, I have finally reached the point where I have had it with the auto deploy running boards. Anyone have suggestions for a good replacement? The auto boards only have two mounting brackets. Most of what I see online have 3 similar to the F-150s.

Last edited:

viper2017

Reaction score
Why not disable them in the menu for always down during the winter, turn them back on during warm weather.

blackedoutlimited

Reaction score
Why not disable them in the menu for always down during the winter, turn them back on during warm weather.
They are not meant to be down all the time, that defeats the purpose… plus it just makes it more likely to catch one of them on something. It just sucks bc they easily will get frozen which is probably why he’s looking for different ones.

blackedoutlimited

Reaction score
With living up north, where we have snow and ice for about 5-6 months out of the year, I have finally reached the point where I have had it with the auto deploy running boards. Anyone have suggestions for a good replacement? The auto boards only have two mounting brackets. Most of what I see online have 3 similar to the F-150s.
Have you thought about looking at like the XLT running boards? I know they aren’t as aesthetically pleasing as power boards but should bolt up no problem and probably aren’t that expensive

2020-MAX-Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They are not meant to be down all the time, that defeats the purpose… plus it just makes it more likely to catch one of them on something. It just sucks bc they easily will get frozen which is probably why he’s looking for different ones.
Plus, I believe the "always deployed" setting does not persist a shutdown/restart sequence. I tried it in order to have them deployed during a car wash, which was fine, they stayed deployed during the wash, but as soon as I restarted they retracted again. BTW, this tactic also defeated the purpose of the car wash since I was only able to clean the top surface of the boards in the wash, and as soon as they retracted the dirty bottom surface was showing which looked terrible requiring a second wash with the boards retracted!

blackedoutlimited

Reaction score
Plus, I believe the "always deployed" setting does not persist a shutdown/restart sequence. I tried it in order to have them deployed during a car wash, which was fine, they stayed deployed during the wash, but as soon as I restarted they retracted again. BTW, this tactic also defeated the purpose of the car wash since I was only able to clean the top surface of the boards in the wash, and as soon as they retracted the dirty bottom surface was showing which looked terrible requiring a second wash with the boards retracted!
I agree, they do not last after a restart. At least the ones on both of our expeditions lol.

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just pull the fuse or unplug the motors if you want them to stay deployed.

OP
OP
ranger10

ranger10

Reaction score
Just pull the fuse or unplug the motors if you want them to stay deployed.

As others have mentioned, the "Out" setting gets reset to "Auto" once you start driving. Not a bad idea on the fuse. I will have to try that and see how it works. Does anyone make a silicone cover or something that could go over the hinges on the auto running boards? My biggest issue is gravel and ice getting built up on in the pivot point. I would think some kind of sleeve that is flexible to clover the area would help?