Running Boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tazeman

Reaction score
Just wanted to know if anybody has heard a fix for the power running boards.
My wife was putting the grand kids in thier car seats on one side on the other side my grandaughter
was getting in on other side she is 5 and when wife shut door grandaughter caught her leg in running board
on the other side. One they should have them open on side the door is open and i think they should have a setting if it jams and should drop backdown. The timed setting does not work either. This is on 2022 limited
My grandaughter had just stepped onto the running board when my wife shut the door on other side and then got her foot caught she is ok but needless to say grandma was all upset

Last edited:

DFWHD

Reaction score
You should be able to leave them deployed 100% of the time.
I think that setting has a bug. I can set it to leave out/deployed and upon next start, it goes back to deploy when door is opened... I think others have reported this on these forums.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 22 running board functionality is ridiculous. How stupid of Ford to have both sides deploy no matter which side door is opened. I am so glad I have a 21.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just wanted to know if anybody has heard a fix for the power running boards.
My wife was putting the grand kids in thier car seats on one side on the other side my grandaughter
was getting in on other side she is 5 and when wife shut door grandaughter caught her leg in running board
on the other side. One they should have them open on side the door is open and i think they should have a setting if it jams and should drop backdown. The timed setting does not work either. This is on 2022 limited

I don’t have a fix, but remember when I looked at 2015 Expedition models with the power running boards.

As I stood by the left side of a new vehicle looking at the window sticker, the salesman opened the driver’s door and the running board deployed, hitting my leg. My first thought was my grandkids, as kids tend to run up to the vehicle, and get close to the vehicle’s door.

I did not order the power running boards. I ordered my vehicle and I did not buy an in-stock vehicle.

I still think the power running boards are a gimmick, and troublesome - although they do add to the vehicle’s sleeker styling when they are closed.

USKflt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My biggest gripe so far by far. It’s honestly almost a safety issue. We have to repeatedly tell our little ones to stay away on the other side of the car because by the time you get around the car to get them in they are closing again. If they’d fix the damn extended timer it wouldn’t be such a big deal.

maxlim2022

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My biggest gripe so far by far. It’s honestly almost a safety issue. We have to repeatedly tell our little ones to stay away on the other side of the car because by the time you get around the car to get them in they are closing again. If they’d fix the damn extended timer it wouldn’t be such a big deal.
Absolutely. If the extended timer at least did function, you could have id remain deployed longer while people embarked or disembarked after closing the first door. I hope no one gets seriously hurt before a safety bulletin is issued!

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With my 11, 14 and 17 the doors on each side trigger the running board on that side only.
If opening any door on any side triggers both running boards, that is def a safety issue and can also easily damage the running boards when alone in the vehicle and parking close to the curb or other object on the pass side. Should be reported to NHTSA.

Last edited:

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, what?!

So both sides come down when a door on one side is opened… and then both sides go back up., when the first door is closed? Even if a subsequent door has been opened on the other side?
What am I missing?

Beachums

Reaction score
Yeah, what?!

So both sides come down when a door on one side is opened… and then both sides go back up., when the first door is closed? Even if a subsequent door has been opened on the other side?
What am I missing?
Did you read the first post??? This is definitely a departure of quality on Ford's part.... and down right dangerous for a household with multiple little kids. There will be a recall on this....mark my words.