Running Boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t mind this feature. I have small kids also, if more than 30 lbs is on the step it won’t retract. Even my smallest is more than that.

Beachums

Reaction score
I am willing to bet it isn't a "feature" at all. I am thinking it was done out of simplicity.
My two prior vehicles that had them were exclusive to the side opening.
I am wondering if this facilitated a consolidation of modules.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And yes, obviously the only running board that should actuate is the one on the side with an open door.
Mine on my 2018 work exactly as they should.
And they stay up in the stowed position if I change the setting, also.

Why Ford decided to screw with this is beyond me. Almost seems like maybe it got unintentionally changed by a wiring harness error, or programming error in the BCM.

I am willing to bet it isn't a "feature" at all. I am thinking it was done out of simplicity.
My two prior vehicles that had them were exclusive to the side opening.
I am wondering if this facilitated a consolidation of modules.
Yes, for sure it was a chip shortage thing. Independent opening running boards no doubt require additional sensors/modules.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so is my grandaughter but it closed on her foot
That’s not supposed to happen, I checked mine as soon as I got it because I was worried my son would climb on it when it would retract, he does, and it won’t go up. The side just stays down. I tested it with a 30 lb dumbbell first. Didn’t even try to lift it, just stayed down, other side went up like normal.
Might want to get a dealer to test it for you.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ah. Hadn’t considered that the chip shortage could have something to do with it. Definitely a possibility. Only one final output circuit. Simpler sensing circuit.

how hilariously ironic it would be, if the total cost of the resultant recalls ended up costing more than what Ford “saved” by trying to use fewer chips in the circuit.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, for sure it was a chip shortage thing. Independent opening running boards no doubt require additional sensors/modules.

I was talking to a tech for another tire balance issue, I asked about the running boards, he said they are likely going to come out with a sync OTA update to fix the double down and timer extension issues. he said they are mechanically the same as prior years, and the system that controls them is the same as the door ajar warnings, so they can operate independently.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was talking to a tech for another tire balance issue, I asked about the running boards, he said they are likely going to come out with a sync OTA update to fix the double down and timer extension issues. he said they are mechanically the same as prior years, and the system that controls them is the same as the door ajar warnings, so they can operate independently.
Oh, that would be great if they can correct it with software. Makes sense that it uses the door switches.

Infra246

Reaction score
I noticed something strange when getting out and rubbing my leg against the running board it seems to have a trim that pushes in. All past trucks I always thought the running board was one solid piece. Not sure if something has changed but it looks like the painted part is a separate piece and whatever adhesive is used to seal it together has failed. I suspect that left unchecked this will be a problem for water intrusion and corrossion down the road, especially in the winter. The passenger side feels pretty solid but the drivers side is separating all the way down the length of the running board. See video..

Running Board Video

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
othermrsikes