RUST....WHY?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For many (30+) years, the only vehicles I owned were GM, and experienced zero rust problems. Since I bought into Ford (2004 Expy) (2006 Mustang) supporting a salesman friend, I have experienced rust in both vehicles. As a member of the Corvette Forum, I read many threads
that labled the Mustang as "Rustang". I just acknowledged the term as some form of jealousy
until I had to repair my Mustang rust.

Difficlult to accept today that rust exists today in Ford cars.

https://www.hotcars.com/ford-cars-that-are-rust-buckets/

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They didn't rust cause you only got 100k maximum out of a car then, now a days they are barely broke in... If you like your GM's so much, why do you own a Ford? I myself will never buy another GM product after their 2009 issue...

OP
OP
Don Hall

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They didn't rust cause you only got 100k maximum out of a car then, now a days they are barely broke in... If you like your GM's so much, why do you own a Ford? I myself will never buy another GM product after their 2009 issue...

I don't have a car maker preference. If you read my post, I bought Fords to support a friend who was selling them. My experience has been zero rust with GM,
100% rust with Ford.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I own 3 Fords currently. A 1997 Explorer, a 2000 Expedition and a 2012 Escape.

Other than some light surface rust on the frame (nothing structural) and the old Expedition trailing arms, they are rust free. Of course living in CO will do that. Go to anywhere in the Rust Belt and you can see through cars of all makes and models.

My first car was a Chevy Celebrity. When it rained, it would leave a rusty outline on the driveway from where it dripped. Slam the door too hard and pieces would fall off. Of course at the time, I was living in WI.

You live in Santa Cruz. That’s near the ocean. Salt fog coming in off the water?

You mentioned your Corvettes didn’t rust. I’d hope not- they are fiberglass.

You bought used Fords. Where did they spend their life previous to you?

Plati

Reaction score
Oddly enough, we have JAPAN to thank for the 1/2 way decent vehicles we drive today. American auto manufacturers were making JUNK until the Japanese companies upped the game and challenged USA companies to match them. Good ole American style capitalism and competition.

I had a 67 Chevy Van that didn't seem to have any rust on it.
I couldn't ever figure that out.