scratch and sniff odd smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if i could, I'd do a scratch and sniff spot so you understand what i am talking about but...

does anyone, after driving their 3rd gen, smell something that smells like trans fluid or rear end fluid? There are no leaks anywhere, no drops, puddles, sloshes, jerks, shudders, or anything else. Just a smell like tranny or rear end fluid... it's odd to say the least.

ideas?

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you get your oil changed? some places spray the hinges on your doors .

OP
OP
RedExpy

RedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stamp...admittedly i have not climbed underneath to inspect simply because there are no fluids on the ground but I will do that...report back if i don't find anything.

Just4Fun-- i change my own oil rather than allowing someone else to do it.. that way i know no shortcuts have been taken. Speaking of..did you know that Wallyworld will NOT undo the drain plug but utilize a suction device and suck the oil out via the filler tube on the valve cover?

when the heck did that start happening.. you cant tell me it gets ALL the old oil...

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You may not have a leak that is bad enough to make a puddle. Then you would have a weep, which will turn into a leak if not fixed.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
did you know that Wallyworld will NOT undo the drain plug but utilize a suction device and suck the oil out via the filler tube on the valve cover?

when the heck did that start happening.. you cant tell me it gets ALL the old oil...

Correct. Its been this way for atleast a year at the store nearest me. Too many instances (read: claims) of inexperienced kids either stripping drain plugs, over &/or under tightening plugs, loosing plugs, cross threading, or not reinstalling them whatsoever. So says the manager looking guy I asked.

This known issue unfortunately birthed another, shysters who receive a perfect oil change from deep pocketed Wal Mart, go home & loosen plug, drain off some or all oil, seize motor, file claim for free engine. So says his cohort, who looked like the kinda guy who could easily confuse 5 quarts of 10W30 for 10 quarts of 5W30.

I suspect there is an element of speed involved too. Oil can be at full operating temperature and still be removed. No waiting 10-15 minutes to keep from getting scorched by hot oil. Probably keeps the pits and shop cleaner too.

Every inboard boat I've owned I've pumped the oil out from the top. Somewhat common in the aviation segment with complex engine cowlings / access panel / nacelle assemblies. We call it "extracting" as opposed to draining.

Both methods probably leave the same exact insignificant amount of oil behind.

mrford60

Full Access Members
Reaction score
oil is leaking on to the exhaust when the vehicle is running and burning off that is what you smell. it will get worse eventually and then you will see it on the ground. it would be best if you can get it up on a lift if possiable.

OP
OP
RedExpy

RedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok... i think that i found the origin of the smell... it appears that the front differential's rear seal is leaking... i am trying to attach a pic but not sure that i can... difficult to change? i hate to put the damn thing in the shop... ugh...

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not difficult to do but you need an inch/pound torque wrench to get the existing preload on the pinion.

From the service manual:
"'Using a Nm (inch/pound) torque wrench, measure the torque necessary to maintain pinion rotation. Record the measurement for reference during installation. "

If there is a problem with the preload when you are putting it back together in the worse case you will need a new crush sleeve and re torque the pinion to specs.