"Screech fart" noise on boost (medium to high)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shinysideup2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
WEB DIAGNOSIS REQUESTED:
My 2017, is making a high-pitched noise under boost that's difficult to describe in words... sort of a screeching / squealing / high-pitched farting sound. This happens only under medium- to high- boost / throttle application and gets better when the engine is warm. The noise is mostly on the passenger side. The tone of the noise doesn't vary directly with engine or turbo speed (it doesn't sound like a sickly turbo whistle). But under higher boost, the noise does switch up to a higher louder tone.... just not gradually, more like a step or a higher harmonic of the lower sound.
Here's a recording...

Upon visual inspection under the hood, none of the turbo plumbing looks loose. Could this be boost leakage somewhere that's not immediately visible? A turbo bearing issue (I would think this would lead to total failure of the turbo?)?

Thanks in advance.

BTW, I searched this forum for "screech fart" but that search returned zero results. Go figure. :)

Last edited:

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep. I promise you, without a doubt your exhaust manifold (mine was passenger side) warped and popped a stud. Super common. I just finished replacing my blown passenger side turbo, all gaskets, exhaust manifold, gasket and stud on my truck this past week. Quiet as a mouse now.

mlogan

Reaction score
I just noticed this on my 2015 EB this week, just turned 100k. It's only under moderate to high boost, sounds like coming from passenger foot well area.
I will have to check the manifold, is this a common issue?
Does it mean anything else concerning or just warping from use/towing?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire