SCT tuner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone using one of these? After reading the strategy code for the custom tune SCT is saying not supported and I need to have Ford upgrade the PCM. This is on a 2018 Exp Max.

Anyone else run into such?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have an SCT tuner. i just bought it. at this point, i have to say it is a waste of time and money. it does nothing useful.

OP
OP
E

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Will assume you are running into the same issue with it saying unsupported vehicle or something of the sort.

OP
OP
E

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my end yeah bought the SCT from 5 star with custom tunes and they are the ones telling me that SCT is saying I need to go to Ford and have them update the PCM.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just ordered the sct x4 tuner from 5 star... I plugged in and got the code but haven't got the tune yet to try.

Is this happening when you try and flash or when you first plug in?

OP
OP
E

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just ordered the sct x4 tuner from 5 star... I plugged in and got the code but haven't got the tune yet to try.

I sent them the code and then they came back with unsupported and need the PCM updated. However, I saw such also when I try to use the included SCT tune for the Expedition.

OP
OP
E

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Mind sharing what your strategy code is to see if they are the same? Mine is listed as:

JL1A-14C204-ACB

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmmmm...I was considering the SCT from 5 star as well. Wonder if I’d have any issues...2019 Platinum.

OP
OP
E

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmmmm...I was considering the SCT from 5 star as well. Wonder if I’d have any issues...2019 Platinum.
The one thing that I am curious is if after a PCM update if the transmission has a smoother shift. I did find a TSB for the F-150s that addresses harsh shifts via a PCM update.

If a PCM update is available for the Expedition it will be strange that the same TSB isn't for the Expedition seeing they are the same engine and transmission that the TSB is for on the F-150.

I do plan to take mine to Ford to see about a PCM update being available or not. Seeing SCM is saying take it to them for such must mean such exist.

But then again you 2019+ guys might be ok as you might already have the PCM update and what SCM built the base tunes against.