SCT tuner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@LokiWolf any actual details on why the HPTuner would be better than the SCT. Such as what data points it would capture that the SCT wouldn't in a datalog?

I see a bunch of various tuner companies offering their custom tunes on both. Seems strange they would do such if their tunes are going to be less effective on one device vs the other.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

SCT can’t log as many parameters at once for one thing. It can with the professional software, that costs more.

Even those tuners that sell both, ask them which they prefer to do their actual tuning with? Most will tell you HPT. Just currently a better platform.

SCT can do most things, but if you are wanting to log, and send data back to your tuner to get tweaks and a better tune, HPT is the way to go.

Also, because of the way HPT does credits, an RTD or MPVI2 from HPT can be used to tune more than one vehicle at once. Same device is used to write tunes to both my Explorer and Expedition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update on my flash failure...

Turns out my transmission has newer software than what's in their database. It's getting updated on their end today (so they say)

Hopefully all goes well now.

OP
OP
E

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update on my flash failure...

Turns out my transmission has newer software than what's in their database. It's getting updated on their end today (so they say)

Hopefully all goes well now.
Mine was too old and yours was to new....

With mine SCT had came back with they weren't going to update their database and I would need to take it to Ford to update to a new PCM version which would have probably put me at the same version as you or newer...so that would have been interesting.

I have the option with 5star to RMA the SCT and go the HP tuners route. Guess I will wait to see what they come back with on yours and if it works out will probably keep the SCT and have Ford update the PCM.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

With mine SCT had came back with they weren't going to update their database and I would need to take it to Ford to update to a new PCM version which would have probably put me at the same version as you or newer...so that would have been interesting.

I have the option with 5star to RMA the SCT and go the HP tuners route. Guess I will wait to see what they come back with on yours and if it works out will probably keep the SCT and have Ford update the PCM.

Do the HP Tuners! I assume that is the NGuage? Not as good as the RTD or MPVI2, but gauges.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I had my vehicle in the replace the dreaded can phaser problem so I guess they updated mine then.

SCT said today around 3pm they would have stuff wrapped up for me. (We will see)

OP
OP
E

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do the HP Tuners! I assume that is the NGuage? Not as good as the RTD or MPVI2, but gauges.

I could do either the nguage or the RTD thru them.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I could do either the nguage or the RTD thru them.

RTD is better, not a gauge like the NGuage, but MUCH better logging and can be used on multiple vehicles.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I got the tune but it wont flash... I think the x4 I got is fubard...

Keep you posted

Well after they didn't call me yesterday I tried first thing this morning and phone prompt says we are in company meeting and the damn thing hangs up on you.

I have had it with SCT. Only one tech has been halfway polite and taking a week to resolve this is ridiculous.