SEAFOAM on the expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Locosrt-4

Reaction score
SEAFOAM on the expy. ive tried sea foam on my other cars and it says a 1/3 in the gas thank,1/3 in the oil and the last 1/3 in a vacium line going to the intake. well wht my question was if any of you have tried this in the expy and wich wacium line did u use? because im clueless on wich one to use! pics would be great. thanks

OP
OP
L

Locosrt-4

Reaction score
dam 99 views and no one replyed? shit come on i need to know. or do yha just use the trottle body?

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The thing with Seafoam is to lubricate and decarbon the combustion chamber. This is accomplished by removing a hose connected to the intake like the PCV (I have done this on a Mustang) putting the end of the hose in the can of Seafoam then kink the hose. Start the car and bring it up to 3000 RPMs then unkink the hose and try to keep the car running, it will stall. The vacuum pressure will pull the seafoam thru the hose directly into the combustion chamber. Huge clouds of smoke will emminate from your tailpipes. After it stalls let it sit for at least 15 minutes and drive the car around the block, then change the oil.

NOTE***

The Seafoam will turn the buildup into a sludge and flow to the pan. Once it's there there is the possibility of it clogging up the oil pump pickup. So, if you do this watch the oil pressure very carefully.Not trying to make anyone nervous, just throwing it out there FYI.

Edit*

I found a how to here : http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

BassQuake9000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found out about this when I was right around 100k miles on my 98 expo, and I used 3 cans total my first time. One in the gas tank, one in the brake booster line and the crankcase, and one seafoam DEEP CREEP can sprayed into the throttle body. BEST $20 I'VE EVER SPENT. The amount of horsepower it was robbing was terrible. I pick up so much faster now, and I have a MUCH smoother idle. That $20 was like adding a new mod.

jsbaker

Reaction score
I know this thread is a few weeks old but I have to post my Seafoam experience from earlier this week. So my Expo that I purchased about two months ago started this really bad pinging problem under load. We switched from regular gas to premium which made the pinging noise virtually gone. Stupid me decided one day to try regular in it again, big mistake. We ended back on premium and the pinging only seemed to get worse. I don't remember any of the pinging before my EGR pressure sensor went bad but it still did it after a new sensor. I decided to try the seafoam in the intake after reading it on here and another forum. I decided since the pinging was so bad we would go with a fully can through the brake booster line and a full can in the alomst full cas tank. Sucked it in the vacuum line shut it off and listened to it diesel for about 30 seconds. Decided to clean the mass airlfow sensor while I waited. about 15 minutes later I started it and let it run for about 15 more minutes, never got any of the white smoke or anything out the oridinary so I was kinda let down. I had to go get my nephew from school so I started on my way. When I hit the main road and got upto about 1500 rpm it was on, white smoke everywhere the truck was bucking and pinging like I had never heard before. took it back to the house put it in neutral and held the gas at about 1500 - 2000 rpm and watched the smoke pour out. When it finally subsided I went back on my way. Once I got on the main street it got into the throttle to see how it was and got more bucking and pinging but no where near as bad as the previous time. After some driving it all cleared up so I decided to see if it did any good. I can report so far hardly any pinging remains if any at all and the truck seems to be responding a lot better. My nephew even commented that it felt different.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to know :)

I think what happened is that when the SEAFOAM was sucked in, you didn't try to keep the engine at about 3k rpms.

Then again, I've never used seafoam. It's just what lakmflx reccomended.

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I read where you said you poured it in the gas tank and through the brake booster line... Did you also pour it in the crankcase? (oil filler neck) if you did then you need a fresh oil change... If you didnt i would pour 1/2 a can first directly in the engine so that it can work all the internals, and free up all the gunk.. Reason for the fresh oil change is that once it frees up all the dirt, it actually turns into sludge that goes to the bottom of the oil pan.

jsbaker

Reaction score
Haven't done it in the crankcase yet. Waiting for oil change time since it just had one.

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will be doing it about next month when im due for an oil change myself. Usually i do it about twice a year.