Second Battery Location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
I'm installing a second battery in my Expy. It'll be dual purpose. One is for camping and the second is for my car trailer. I'm setting it up so I can add an Anderson connector to my trailer so it will plug in below my rear bumper. I'll have a 750w inverter connected to it also with three plugs.
I'd love to fit it behind the plastics in the rear cargo area, but the rear a/c makes that not possible on the passenger side. I don't know if I can move things around enough on the driver side. Under the cup holders appears to be a pretty good sized space.
I know I'm not the only one, so where have you put your second battery? I think it would be best in the rear of the truck. I think under the hood is out because of the turbo plumbing. I could see building a box that would fit up under my front bumper if I can't find the room out back. In the wheel or next to it maybe? I'd need to make a water proof box if I went that direction.

Please no, "use a jump pack" comments. That's not what I want to do.

I already have an ML ACR and my alternator is 250 amps.

Here are the specs of the battery I bought. She's a bit of a tank, but for the price, I don't think you can beat an Interstate battery.

SRM-27 Marine/RV Deep Cycle
CCA 600
"Marine" CCA 750
Reserve Cap 160
Amp Hrs 88

LxWxH - (12.75"x6.75"x9.5")
50 lbs

Thanks.

20191019_163007.jpg 20191009_114049.jpg

20190728_200650.jpg 20190905_193611.jpg

Last edited:

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recommend you read up on installing batteries of different design and capacity in the same electrical circuit. It can be done safely; just a tip for your consideration.

Can't help with the location, though.

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
I remember that. I just don't think it would be enough room for this big a battery. I need to start taking some measurements. I'm now kind of leaning towards a frame mounted set-up. Something like this:

20161202_134718_resized_zpsngprj7dw.jpg

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any chance you could modify your cold air intake and find real estate on the driver's side under the hood? My father in law has an F450 PowerStroke box truck with batteries mounted on the frame rails, and he's had issues with the salt spray that's kicked up from the tires corroding everything in that location.

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Any chance you could modify your cold air intake and find real estate on the driver's side under the hood? My father in law has an F450 PowerStroke box truck with batteries mounted on the frame rails, and he's had issues with the salt spray that's kicked up from the tires corroding everything in that location.
Coming from Mass originally, I know exactly what your FIL is talking about and you're right. I'm down in VA now so the salt isn't as much of an issue. The airbox is part of the rad fluid overflow, so there's not much I can do there without major surgery I think.

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hawkx66: "I don't think you can beat an Interstate battery."

No harm in expressing your loyalty. Just be advised that Interstate is just a marketing company. They don't make a battery. Most batteries are made by Johnson Controls and their affiliates.

Also, Costco now just carries Interstate batteries. You might check their prices.

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
This is true. I'm not usually a brand loyalist, but whatever specs Interstate is giving Johnson Controls, they've worked well for me. I have one in my 69 Camaro also.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Whomever makes interstate, good job. I've only owned 2 of theirs but I've never been let down, got a solid 7 years out of one before the car was totaled out. Still worked fwiw. I have 1 now and buying another for a vehicle I just picked up. Costco has killer prices too, paid $85+tax. Autozone and the like were all over $110 for same specs/warranty.

You can find battery boxes pretty easily. Very common in the racing industry, check out Jegs. Not necessarily for the best prices but they have a lot to offer and give you ideas should you choose to build one. They are all over the place price wise. Theres $20 ones and $300 ones depending on size and how fancy the materials are.

You're likely not going to be able to fit that inside the panels in the back, I was going to be pushing it with a different amp for a new sub and a small 800w sine output inverter and that was with me cutting some things. Keep in mind you want some vent space since it's not a sealed battery, last thing you want is a buildup of hydrogen in there and have something set that off...

Last edited: