Sensor Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

HELP - I'm new to the forum but glad I found it. I purchased a used 99 Expy in April. Less than 50K. In September, I started to notice bad idling; slow starts and an occasional misfire! Went to a Ford Dealer - diagnosis : EGR valve needed replacing. Price over $500! Searched around and found a "highly" recommended mechanic that even used Ford parts. Got the same work for $156.61! Two days later, rough idle, stalling on hills, occasional misfire. Returned the truck and was told, "Without the check engine light, problem hard to detect????" Within a week, light came on and went off within the same day. A week later, the light was on and not going off. Returned the truck and was told, the EGR port needed cleaning??? Guess they don't clean that area when replacing the EGR valve. Had the port cleaned along with the fuel injection cleaning and transmission serviced, (last two my choice, due to mileage). Truck STILL showing the same problems. Return trip, useless...NO LIGHT and it "drives fine" to the mechanic. On Monday, (11/18), the light appeared again. Returned the truck today - just got a call that the DPS Sensor needs replacing - $189. I'm not a mechanic, but, I don't understand why this problem would have magically appeared when I've given the mechanic the same symptoms since September! Their response...code didn't detect this problem in September! HELP...anyone had this problem. Needless to say, I am not allowing this shop to repair the vehicle and they will be greeted by a very unhappy customer this afternoon. Guess I should have forked the 500+ over to Ford! Had going to dealerships! HELP

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your issues.

Somethings you can do or look into are:

1. Check to see if there is an extended warranty on the vehicle. Sometimes people buy them and when they sell or trade the vehicle in there is no mention of it. I know first hand because I once boaught a Grand Cherokee that had an extended warranty only after researching it.

2. In most cases the EGR valve light is a button reset that just tuyrns the light off for another 30 or 50 thousand miles. You may want to look into this.

3. The dealer should be able to hook a computer up to the vehicle and set all necessary adjustments so that the vehicle runs smoothly. This was done to my 99 explorer after it idled poorly.

4. check parts dealers for aftermarket parts. they are typically cheaper.

Good luck and thanks for joining.

JT

PaulC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4.6 engine = bad coil?

5.4 engine = bad coil pack?

It appears that your techs are engaging in the time-honored tradition of replacing parts until they stumble onto the correct repair.

50k seems a bit early for a clogged EGR. My 1999 4.6 with 54k is purring with the factory original system.

Have your techs explored the possibility of a vacuum leak?

Tell us if the new DPS cures the issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjtehan