Service records

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

riverside

Reaction score
So I recently purchased a high mileage but excellent condition 2003 Expedition. It's a 2 owner vehicle, 1st owner driving it for 3 years and the 2nd for the duration, I am guessing this was the typical scenario of being leased for several years then sold at the dealership. My question is maintenance records, the carfax report includes just 2 services records about 5,000 miles apart at a Ford dealership, one of them including "transfer case service." When I bought the truck it had a shiny Motorcraft oil filter and new looking oil, giving the indication of a dealer service. Do carfax reports just include a sampling of service records? How long do dealerships keep maintenance records? Who can access them?

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the truck was serviced at the dealership, the records should be in the computer and they should be able to give you a summary of it's maintenance history. If the owner did all of the service than you'll only see major repairs made by the dealership.

When I traded my truck in I gave the dealership all of my service records for it. I told them to give them to the new owner. They said they didn't want to because it had my information on it. I really didn't care. I just wanted to the new owner to know where he was starting from. As far as I know the dealership did not give him my file.

autoarcheologist

Reaction score
Does anyone know if any dealership can pull the records or do you have to go to the dealer who did the work?

Can anyone here pull records for me? I'm happy to pay a few bucks or trade for a Carfax.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
carfax wont give you crap

if its done by an independent or anyone else who does not report to carfax then it wont be in the record

I just bought a 08 EB, I am just doing all the scheduled maintenance myself to bring it up to date so there is no question what has been done and what has not. If its something that has obviously been done then I wont, but if it doubt like fluids etc I just do them

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I recently purchased a high mileage but excellent condition 2003 Expedition. It's a 2 owner vehicle, 1st owner driving it for 3 years and the 2nd for the duration, I am guessing this was the typical scenario of being leased for several years then sold at the dealership. My question is maintenance records, the carfax report includes just 2 services records about 5,000 miles apart at a Ford dealership, one of them including "transfer case service." When I bought the truck it had a shiny Motorcraft oil filter and new looking oil, giving the indication of a dealer service. Do carfax reports just include a sampling of service records? How long do dealerships keep maintenance records? Who can access them?

Motorcraft filters are <$4 / ea at walmart tho