Shift Flare on 1-2 shift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Beckta10

Reaction score
Update: I just checked for play in the drive shaft and there is none

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrc50

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2017, same as yours.

Edit: 44,800 miles.
Ok, suggest get dealer to check for transmission Valve Body failure. Mine went out at 13,000 miles after month in NC mountains using M to control speed on steep mountain descents (previously had burnt up brakes on GMC Acadia using brakes alone). Your 2017 symptoms sounded similar to mine but I described it as the transmission "popping out of gear" on upshifts. At this point I suspect Ford was using up stock of old valve bodies that had previously been recalled years earlier (no proof only earlier 6 speed recalls for same). Valve Body replaced at no charge by dealer but better hurry unless you have extended warranty.
Probably anyone with late 2017 needs to be aware of this. See my earlier thread. Good luck!

OP
OP
B

Beckta10

Reaction score
Ok, suggest get dealer to check for transmission Valve Body failure. Mine went out at 13,000 miles after month in NC mountains using M to control speed on steep mountain descents (previously had burnt up brakes on GMC Acadia using brakes alone). Your 2017 symptoms sounded similar to mine but I described it as the transmission "popping out of gear" on upshifts. At this point I suspect Ford was using up stock of old valve bodies that had previously been recalled years earlier (no proof only earlier 6 speed recalls for same). Valve Body replaced at no charge by dealer but better hurry unless you have extended warranty.
Probably anyone with late 2017 needs to be aware of this. See my earlier thread. Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I’m going to call the dealer today.

Does anyone know if running with a bad valve body damages the internals of the transmission? I want this fixed ASAP but I’ve been driving for a short period like this and I’m concerned it’s set me up for major failure later.

jrc50

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I’m going to call the dealer today.

Does anyone know if running with a bad valve body damages the internals of the transmission? I want this fixed ASAP but I’ve been driving for a short period like this and I’m concerned it’s set me up for major failure later.

Probably best to ask the Service Manager if you have any faith in him. I have not had any more issues to date and have put 6000 miles on it since valve body replaced, but I took it in the day after the problem started

OP
OP
B

Beckta10

Reaction score
Update: Dealer is resetting transmission logic and we’ll go from there. Hope that fixes it!

OP
OP
B

Beckta10

Reaction score
Update: Dealer is resetting transmission logic and we’ll go from there. Hope that fixes it!

Munkiebunz3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm having an extended time with r-d, d-r shifting as well. Funky 3-4 up shift where (after shifting to 3rd)the rpm rises, drops, rises then shifts to 4th. They say "no fault found" when back in my day we'd have replaced the valve body.

OP
OP
B

Beckta10

Reaction score
I'm having an extended time with r-d, d-r shifting as well. Funky 3-4 up shift where (after shifting to 3rd)the rpm rises, drops, rises then shifts to 4th. They say "no fault found" when back in my day we'd have replaced the valve body.

What you describe sounds like something I get also. I always thought it might be the torque converter locking and unlocking but my thinking could be flawed there. I really don’t know much about transmissions.

To provide an update on my issues, the flare is just as bad or worse since the tcm reset. This dealer has always been good to me so I’m wondering if it’s normal behavior? Besides the visual indication something might not be right it drives fine. Maybe there’s a lag in the digital display?

I have no idea what’s going on with the trans but this is the same dealer that diagnosed my bad turbo when the other would say “could not reproduce” to the noise it was making and “that’s normal” to all the white smoke coming out of my tailpipe. Funny how since I’ve had the new turbo there hasn’t been anymore white smoke!

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What you describe sounds like something I get also. I always thought it might be the torque converter locking and unlocking but my thinking could be flawed there. I really don’t know much about transmissions.

To provide an update on my issues, the flare is just as bad or worse since the tcm reset. This dealer has always been good to me so I’m wondering if it’s normal behavior? Besides the visual indication something might not be right it drives fine. Maybe there’s a lag in the digital display?

I have no idea what’s going on with the trans but this is the same dealer that diagnosed my bad turbo when the other would say “could not reproduce” to the noise it was making and “that’s normal” to all the white smoke coming out of my tailpipe. Funny how since I’ve had the new turbo there hasn’t been anymore white smoke!

White smoke out of the tailpipe is normal, cold mornings when it’s warming up

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze