shock, strut, which one? I DONT KNOW!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

What brand / kind of shocks did you use. I got the originals still on and am going to replace them shortly because it has to ride better than it does. I put Rancho 5000's on my Explorer and they were great for a few months but then got a little mushy, so I am going to stay away from those for the Expo.

OP
OP
G

Monroe shocks replaced the original factory shocks (I don't have any idea what brand the factory shocks were but my Expedition is a 1999). Rides REAL good now. New Goodyear Wrangler tires are being put on on as I type this. Are Rancho 5000's tires?

OP
OP
G

Rancho 5000's are adjustable shocks - little valve thing on it so you can soften or stiffen your ride to you liking or load.

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rancho 5000's are NOT adjustable. Rancho 9000's are the adjustable shocks.

The Rancho 5000's are low low end shocks offered by the Rancho company, but are definitely a great upgrade. But I suggest you use the mid-grade offering (Rancho RSX's), which I found have a better ride feel.

OP
OP
G

After reading that 5000 were not adjustable I went out to the Explorer and looked at the thing. Sticker they sent me Said Rancho 5000 shock absorbers on it. Had to crawl under it and take another look because I know I have adjusted them a few times myself. The shocks are 9000 but the sticker I got is for 5000. I stand correct on above - sorry for any confusions.
2001Smurph