Should I keep her?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Texpedition

Reaction score
I've been a part-time lurker here for a little while and this is my first post. But I've got a question for anyone interested in voicing an opinion. Here's the background;

I have a '98 Blue 2 wheel drive Eddie Bauer with 287,000+ miles on it. It's been a great truck and I still love driving her. I am a realtor so I have to maintain a bit of a positive image, but I don't worry too much about that. With that many miles on her, she's beginning to show a few wrinkles. I need new tires, the front end needs alignment, needs new shocks, has an oil leak, a few nicks in the paint and a few chips in the windshield. The interior is straight with some wear on the driver's side seat - a hole where I get in and out - and the standard cracks in the leather seat on the passenger side. The driver's side speaker doesn't work and that is a wiring problem, I think. The sub-woofer is out and the leather wrap on the steering wheel could really stand to be replaced. Carpet is excellent except for the spot I step on to get into the truck each time. I will need to replace the heater coil if I am going to keep it; it get's mighty cold without a heater.

So, do I try to keep her, spend the money to repair and replace, invest in some new wheels and tires and maybe a paint job (thinking about something nice and shiny) to hang on for a couple more years or do I move on up to a used Lincoln Navigator that has a lot fewer miles on it? I will spend the same amount over time either way.

Thanks for the feedback.

SOLISIMO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well you also have to take into consideration that something else will go wrong ontop of the listed problems. The positive is that since the truck is yours you know how you drive it and what problems it has, unlike getting into a used one blind.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as SOL said depends on what you want... fix something you know the history on or get new payments and possibly have unknown issues with the other option

m1gunner

Reaction score
as SOL said depends on what you want... fix something you know the history on or get new payments and possibly have unknown issues with the other option

these are great trucks . Bottom line is you know what you have into it & you have an idea what you have to still put into it. The miles are high but id stay with it. Unless you need out. Mine has taken care of me from day one. And I know alot of people who get rid of their rigs and they end up in a junk yard ,or worse .. In the hands of someone who abuses it. you could turn it into a prerunner ! there is always options. but it comes down to what you really want to do.. I'd keep it. Because its a Ford.. And its an expy....just my two cents

OP
OP
Texpedition

Texpedition

Reaction score
All good points! I do know her. She's been good to me and I still like driving her. I know that other stuff can start to go wrong and engine and transmission replacements are expensive. I can buy a 2000 Navigator with 75000 miles on it for less than $7900, sell mine for cash and be in a very nice truck. But I can also do lots of stuff to my Expy for $6000.

I have sold or traded in cars in the past that I wish I still had. A '73 Mustang, a '65 Baracuda and an '87 Cougar top the list. So, I'm scratching my head...could this be another one I wish I still had.

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn't put the money into wheels and a paint job/interior. Most of the other (important) stuff could easily be fixed on a budget--especially if you do the work--and the truck will last you much longer, I'm sure.

If you really want it to be like new, though, I would sell it and buy something else. It's not like its something rare...That's just my financial perspective, though.

zets101

Reaction score
I found myself in a similar dilemma but for different reasons. I was thinking of switching to a fuel efficient car, specifically a ford focus with a manual transmission. But I found myself sticking with the expy because I came to the same conclusions sol mentioned. 1) its paid for. 2) I know what I have (problems, its reliability, how its been treated) 3) Its been great to me so far (Highway mileage has even been a lot better than I expected, I average 18 mpg when I'm not tooling around 30mph town areas)

I'm going to have to sink money in mine too. I have to replace (more specifically drill them out and retap) the exhaust manifold bolts and I also need a front end alignment. I gave it a lot of thought and I would have to drive a lot of miles WITHOUT something going wrong on a focus for that investment to pay for itself.

OP
OP
Texpedition

Texpedition

Reaction score
Yeah, it's hard to think about sinking a couple of grand into a truck that's only worth $1500. But...fix the oil leak, the heater core...the truck still looks great in and out. I have to do something about new tires but got 60k out of the last set of Michelines. Don't have to buy new wheels but could hop it up a little bit.

I don't know but I thank you guys for helping me think about it. If something else pops into your mind, I'd like to hear it.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I'm in the minority but with that many miles and having to put that money in to her, I think I would go with another one. If you get another one, you get to see what else is out there and what you can and can't do. That in itself is half the fun. Just be carefull and do your homework. Just my $.02