Should it stay or should it go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kramerpage

Reaction score
Hello all! I am having a new radiator core support installed on my 2006 and was wondering if I should replace the water pump since the front clip will be removed. It has 126,000 miles on the original. I'm thinking how much longer could she go? What say you? Thanks

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Flip a coin! Just kidding. Its a crap shoot. Your at the mileage and age where you probably should. I've been around vehicles wrenching on them for close to 50 years now, and I've never figured why, but disrupting a sealed system like the cooling, shouldn't affect other parts like a thermostat or water pump, but it does. I've had a perfectly functional thermostat stop opening, just by changing out the coolant. Whether your changing the radiator, or a shop, it's cheaper and safer with the radiator and fan out already. Again, it's a judgement call, but at 13 years old, I'd change the upper, and lower hoses as well as the pump.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All of my vehicles in the last 20 years have been run to 220-350K miles and I've never had a water pump fail. So based on personal experience, I wouldn't bother until it starts giving you trouble unless they are known to be problematic on your particular vehicle.

OP
OP
kramerpage

kramerpage

Reaction score
I'm kinda on a sugar high right now...

Backstory...
Dealership said its junk. Take it to junkyard the adviser says or trade in on a new one. We have seen hundreds of these and nobody fixes them cause its not worth it.

That's like calling my girlfriend out. I felt like smacking him actually. lol I finally just ignored him and listened to the young mechanic who pointed out a bad ball joint and tie rod end on passenger side and rotten brake lines everywhere.

Body shop quoted 5.5k for the core support and 2k for the mechanicals.

So I made a turn on that disaster of an afternoon last week with a firm commitment that I will take care of her. Nurture her back to health.

smith627

Reaction score
Still running original water pump and radiator hoses on our 04 XLT 5.4 with 255,000 miles.
Ford must make a pretty dependable water pump for these engines. Still pretty cheap if you replace it yourself rather than pay a shop. Really not a difficult job if you are mechanically inclined.
Fortunately no rust on our Expedition due to very little snow/ice here and only sand used on bridges.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kramerpage

kramerpage

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I need to see if the fella installing the radiator support will let me work on it when he has the front clip off.

I ordered the radiator support which was $1291.38 plus tax at the dealer. There was a young man there that said wow that is too high price. LOL He lowered it to $1110.26 WITH tax.

I have appointment at the body shop May 27th at 10am . She gets a new set of Bloomers for $900.00.

Thats $2,010.26 verses the dealership price of $5.5K for the repair of the radiator support part of this.

Thats a $3489.74 savings to you and me Russ...:dogpile:

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you do decide to change out pump, be sure and bolt up a Ford one, or at least one of the better ones available. With all the Chinese garbage floating around, wouldn't want to see a perfectly functional pump being replaced with an inferior part.

OP
OP
kramerpage

kramerpage

Reaction score
If you do decide to change out pump, be sure and bolt up a Ford one, or at least one of the better ones available. With all the Chinese garbage floating around, wouldn't want to see a perfectly functional pump being replaced with an inferior part.

Roger that. It would be a motorcraft PW423. They are less expensive than they were in the 80's...

37.00 shipped!!

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Backstory...
said its junk. Take it to junkyard the adviser says or trade in on a new one. We have seen hundreds of these and nobody fixes them cause its not worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk