Should it stay or should it go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's the part alright. The problem lies with the installers. All the shops refuse to install aftermarket. Period. So I had no choice since the cost is mostly all labor. Shameful I know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The part I posted a link is the Ford part - at less than half the dealer's cost. Since you brought it up though, I have never heard of a shop (except for a dealership) rejecting an aftermarket part. I would have simply taken it somewhere else. That part markup is insane.

Cooper

Reaction score
The part I posted a link is the Ford part - at less than half the dealer's cost. Since you brought it up though, I have never heard of a shop (except for a dealership) rejecting an aftermarket part. I would have simply taken it somewhere else. That part markup is insane.

Find a shade tree mechanic, for they care not if its OEM or not... or knock it out yourself.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can't imagine a sheet metal aftermarket part being that far off on fit, that you can't massage it to fit in place. As far as coatings and rustproofing, rough the paint that's on it, and spray it with a high zinc paint to slow any rust. I'm with the others, your not restoring a 1930's Dusenberg, so as long as your guy or girl gets the new piece in and secure, I don't see the problem. Your throwing a lot of unnecessary money at a vehicle that's value won't be affected by a cheaper install.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
kramerpage

kramerpage

Reaction score
I picked up the support from the dealer 5L1Z16138a today. I had him look up the 4L1Z16138BA from the link above. He stated it is not the correct part. That part stops at 2005. I also go all new transmission cooling lines.

The body shop that is doing the work is about as country as you can get. 3 generations of this family have operated this small shop. Cash or check only.They have done several expeditions so they know what works and doesn't work.

The brake lines and break hoses, tie rod ends and lower ball joints are getting replaced today by a fella down the street who does work out of his garage. Cash only lol

I broke free the fan last night so I ordered a water pump, serp belt, tensioner and 3 idler pulleys. Im hoping to get it done by Monday June 3rd.

Lets see what Rockauto prices do when Trump increases tariffs to 25%...

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I picked up the support from the dealer 5L1Z16138a today. I had him look up the 4L1Z16138BA from the link above. He stated it is not the correct part. That part stops at 2005

That's why I asked if it was the correct part. The part number you provided is available at Tasca for $844.56. That's insane also, but still $266 cheaper than your local dealer. And Tasca rarely has the best price in town. I just didn't spend any time looking, since it was just to satisfy my own curiosity. :)

Lets see what Rockauto prices do when Trump increases tariffs to 25%...

The same thing will happen with Rock Auto prices as will happen with your dealer's prices, since they are the same parts. Rock Auto isn't selling anything different than anyone else. In fact, they drop ship these parts from dealerships and part warehouses that supply dealers. You're just paying more for the same part.

And we already know what's going to happen because it's been happening for the last year. American manufacturers know that people that were willing to pay more fo rAmerican-made goods will still be willing to pay more and those that weren't willing, still aren't going to pay more even if the gap in price shrinks. Thus, if the price on a Chinese good goes up, the price on its American counterpart goes up as well. Trade wars are a no-win for the American consumer.

OP
OP
kramerpage

kramerpage

Reaction score
Yeah Tasca only saves me 25.93 over what I paid at the local dealer. 844.56 part 239.77 shipping.

I would rather look at it at the dealer for damage and have the option to refuse than have to box it up, get an return auth blah blah blah...LOL

The part I bought from Ford states "Proudly made in the USA" btw

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah Tasca only saves me 25.93 over what I paid at the local dealer. 844.56 part 239.77 shipping.

I would rather look at it at the dealer for damage and have the option to refuse than have to box it up, get an return auth blah blah blah...LOL

The part I bought from Ford states "Proudly made in the USA" btw

Some of their parts are made in the USA. Others are made in China or Mexico. Most of their stuff is made overseas now. It depends on the part though.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
My 'new' Ford, chrome replacement bumper, was made in Taiwan. It has the oval Ford logo, and everything.

SEPTIC PROFESSOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You cannot be serious to stick any money into a rust bucket. In Florida we find 2003 models, the best year ever built, rolling around rust free with ice cold A/C for under $4K. 2005 on up with the 3 valve engines are all junk. 2003 and 2004 5.4 engines are bulletproof.

OP
OP
kramerpage

kramerpage

Reaction score
Thats a great point. I will have 2800 into it when all repairs are made. What a great deal for me! Thanks for shinning the light on that. LOL