Show me your Brake Controller installations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

riverside

Reaction score
Greetings folks I have a new Tekonsha brake controller, the actual hook up is a snap. Where to physically mount it though, I'm not sure, probably at the bottom of the dashboard which will take a little piece of angle or something to have the mounting face oriented properly. I'd like to see what others came up with for installing their controllers, thanks.brake controller.jpg

bgrattan

Reaction score
I bought my '06 with one already installed. They had screwed mounting brackets right above the OBD connector. I'd take a picture, but I already took it out since I don't need it.

OP
OP
R

riverside

Reaction score
I think when you have the factory tow package it's a bit disappointing there isn't a built into the dash controller as the pickups have.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It was a $300 option if you had the 7 pin trailer harness. The factory plug is attached to the OBD2 data port harness right there at the right knee bolster. Look up under the dash right there at the OBDII plug and you'll see it if your Expy has the tow package. The factory controller was made by Hayes (Made in USA). If you want one that's just plug and play get a Hayes proportional from eTrailer and off you go.

Factory Electric Brake Controller Harness & Plug near OBDII plug ....
3KusJy.jpg

https://www.etrailer.com/multi-prod...2004&HHMake=Ford&HHModel=Expedition&hunter=bc

PJXEIz.png

-Mike

Last edited:

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is my install, but it's a 2008 expedition, I have the factory fitted tow option so the wiring loom was present, but no controller was fitted. I just bolted it to the panel under the steering wheel, I also have a 2M radio to the left and a hands free parrot phone to the right!!

IMG_0293.JPG

OP
OP
R

riverside

Reaction score
[
It was a $300 option if you had the 7 pin trailer harness. The factory plug is attached to the OBD2 data port harness right there at the right knee bolster. Look up under the dash right there at the OBDII plug and you'll see it if your Expy has the tow package. The factory controller was made by Hayes (Made in USA). If you want one that's just plug and play get a Hayes proportional from eTrailer and off you go.

I have the pigtail that plugs into the factory harness, and am thankful for that, that is why I said hookup was a snap, meaning the electrical connections. What I meant by a factory brake controller is one like this:
F350.png

Just seems to me they could have included this for those that sprung for the tow package. Since purchasing the Tekonsha unit I have found this, the actual control unit is mounted remotely and just the knob wherever you like, considering ditching the Tekonsha and getting it instead, anyone with any experience with this unit? https://www.curtmfg.com/part/51170

Curt-Spectrum-Brake-Controller.jpg