"Shuddering" and "vibrating" when doing some actions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wolf

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to this Forum, and new to owning a 4X4 vehicle as well--However I'm not new to Forums in general, and as such have searched as much as I can for my issue--But I'm also not exempt from asking a question that's already been answered, due to not searching the correct terms, or just being Human in general.

I have a 04 Expedition Eddie B., 5.4L, and as the tittle says, it's "shudders." Yes 4X4 (with the fancy knob that has 2H, A4WD, 4H, and 4L). Purchased with the following being done in Jan 2014: new upper and lower ball joints, new suspension, new U-Joints, rear and front Diff serviced, and Lucy has been maintained beautifully during her 11 years of driving, I'm her 2'nd owner.

The main "shuddering" (or binding depending on what your fancy word names are) that I feel is when taking a Right hand turn from a dead stop. When accelerating at a medium to hard rate it feels like the rear diff. isn't allowing the tires to spin at different rates. However, the mechanic that replaced the diff. fluid swears that he added some kind of snake oil that Ford recommends to make this a non-issue. This is also the same Mechanic shop (reputable place) that charged me $100 for a from sway-bar end-link that was clucking--and it's still clunking... Rant over. I was initially suspicious that the 4X4 isn't fully disengaging (and it may not be), but on the lift in 2H the front drive train didn't spin with the rear... So I'm still at a loss with this issue. I should also note that I don't have the means to stand the vehicle off the ground at this time as I don't have any stands rated for this vehicle weight.

In addition, at speeds greater than 60/mph there is what I can only describe as a "vibrating" feeling when pressing and depressing the gas peddle. At first I only noticed it at speeds greater than ~72/mph, but after taking off my flip-flop on day and pressing it, it's noticeable at 60. I talked to the mechanic about this, but at this point my assumptions (assuming is a horrible thing) are better than my trust in that shop (or most others in this area) at this point. There is a slight noise that can be herd from under the vehicle, and I would say that it's a vibrating noise, but not loud enough to record, and not enough that it makes the truck vibrate at a frequency that would be felt in the buttocks area, nor would make any disturbance that can be felt otherwise (haven't taken it over 90 due to this reason, so I don't know if its worse with speed). I kinda want to say it's a driveshaft, but also kinda feel like it would be more prevalent at a greater range of speeds as the shaft gains and never looses RPMs when accelerating...

I have read a couple places that the need for a Transfer fluid change "could" remedy the "shuddering" issue when turning (does it need changed every 30k? [I don't have the manual]), but no one seems to know about the 60mph issue is from--and I'm not paying Ford the $250.00 fee they want to diagnose it (they didn't tell me about the transfer case fluid FYI, nor would they share any information over the phone).

So here I am :) a new, and very happy Expedition owner, askin you fine folks about my truck problems. I am a computer geek, but am very mechanically inclined (i.e. I've rebuilt an engine, swapped engines, all break work, some driveline work, change oil, etc.), so I'm not afraid to pull this thing apart either.

Great being here, I've read a lot of awesome posts already :)

~Wolf

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can go to

owner.ford.com

and download the owners manual and other information that was available when the expy was new

rice_classic

Reaction score
I bought a used 2003 with 150k on it with the same shudder while turning at slow speeds or taking off from a stop with the wheel turned. It was the rear LSD. I added 2 bottles of Motorcraft Friction modifier when I replaced the rear diff fluid with Amsoil.

Shudder entirely eliminated.

Your 60mph vibration, however, I'm afraid I got nothin.

OP
OP
Wolf

Wolf

Reaction score
I'll have to have the fluid replaced again then I guess. It's possible that the rear dif is causing the high speed vibration...

Anyway, new problem, the transmission was ½ QT low, and the transfer case output seal was leaking. The oil Chang guy checked the level of the transfer case fluid, and when he opened the fill port, the ½ QT of transmission fluid came out. So it's probable that the marriage seal between the trnsmission and transfer case is broken... So I'll be replacing some stuff in the near future.

Once I get those things done, then we'll see if it takes care of the vibrating.

Rosco

Reaction score
I have the same low speed shuddering on my '17. Other posts in this forum suggested replacing the rear end clutches. I am having that done tomorrow. They looked at it at the dealer and said the clutches were worn and trying to fully engage the inside real wheel when it needs to be going slower than the outside wheel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360