Slight binding at start from a stop.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BAD RONALD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
127 K miles on this truck, my wife's daily driver. No skip or misfire whatsoever in Park or Neutral. When accelerating from a complete stop a slight binding is noticeable, kind of like what can be felt during a slow turn in 4wd. The truck shifts normally and there is no shudder at higher speeds.

Posts regarding a shudder, binding, vibration, etc are difficult to compare it's a fact. The closest I have found to the condition I'm experiencing point to a transfer case lubrication problem. Right now I'm planning a fluid change using Motorcraft XL-12. Also gonna do the front diff fluid change while I'm at it. The rear diff change was done 15k miles ago when the axle seals failed.

Anybody have experience with a similar issue?

Will post results on Wednesday to follow up.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the same issue.

I believe it's the vacuum actuator on the firewall that disengages the front axle disconnect. When that actuator fails, it fails so that it is engaged.

In the underhood fuse box, pull out fuse 104 (I think... double check in your manual for the 4wd system fuse) and go for a test drive.

And then look into the "brown wire mod".

OP
OP
B

BAD RONALD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had a chance to pull fuse 104. No change in condition.

Checking things out a little more closely, a vibration not unlike a misfire occurs in Drive at idle with my foot on the brake. No vibration in Neutral or Park. No vibration or skip above 15mph. Seems like whatever is causing a problem here is consistent for when the truck is slowly moving or stationary.

OP
OP
B

BAD RONALD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Couldn't be a misfire because I know better, right? What an ass I am.

PO302 code finally tripped. Replaced the two year old COP on cylinder 2 (the beauty of the Global ten pack of COPs is the spare two you ride around with) and all seems better.

Still gonna do the neglected fluid changes.

Last edited: