sloppy gear select and no turn signal cancel...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtnman82

Reaction score
I'm wondering what it will take to fix the gear selector on the steering column, and also the turn signal cancelling...

Right now I have to manually turn off the turn signal after making a turn - is this a relatively commin issue, or at least not too tough a fix?

Also, the gear selector is very sloppy, and when it appears to be in Park a lot of times it's not and the car won't start. If I wiggle the selector it will then be in Park and I can start it. Any clue(s) on what this might be, or the fix for it?

Thanks in advance!

jjbusa

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my gear selector is getting sloppy too. hope someone chimes in

khpony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try tightening the torx screws on the shifter up under the dash. Hope the attached photo helps. The torx are circled. This is complements of another member that helped me earlier this year.

Attachments

• XP Shifter.jpg
    XP Shifter.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 324

Wint

Reaction score
Yeah I need to fix my turn signal as well, I figured it would be too much hassle to bother with though.

on1wheel01

Reaction score
Mine is the same says I'm in 2 when It's in D. Need to replace my switch as well since my high beams don't work.

OP
OP
M

mtnman82

Reaction score
Thanks khpony! I found the two torx bolts by looking under the dash with the help of the epic you attached. One was loose and the other was very loose. Tightened them up and the shifter is waaaaaay better. Very easy - nothing to take apart, just look under the dash and tighten with a torx screwdriver.

Now I need to figure out how to take care of the turn signal cancel...

khpony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
mtnman82 glad that fixed your shifter. Regarding the turn signal cancel I would thing that is a switch in the column. Hopefully someone else will chime in on that.

OP
OP
M

mtnman82

Reaction score
After looking & searching a bunch, it appears the turn signal stalk has the turn signal cancel in it - kind of makes sense. It's ~$100 for a new one, so I think I'd like to take the old one off first to check it out. It doesn't appear to be that bad to take the switch out, but I probably won't get a chance until Christmas vacation. I'll report back with my findings...

jimmbrooks

Reaction score
Might I also suggest some loctite. It took me 3 times before i said screw it and loctited it... but none the less still an easy fix. Now if the damn odometer wouldn't flash on and off...

OP
OP
M

mtnman82

Reaction score
My odometer does the same thing - intermittently goes out then comes back on. I think I've read it's a cracked solder joint which can be fixed if you pull the odometer cluster. Good to know all the common problems/fixes on these beasts (or any vehicle you own). :)