Smoke at start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just bought this truck, 2000 XLT 4.6L.

When I started it up at the dealership, no smoke. I let it idle for 20 minutes while we checked stuff out, then took about 30 minute test drive. Brought it back and shut it off. Haggled more on the price and after making a deal, started it up again and no smoke. Drove 30 miles home, shut it off for 10 minutes. Came back out, started it up, smoke from the pipe. Not black, but not sure if it's white or blue.

Now it does it on every start up. I read about oil leaking past the valves and dripping inside the cylinder being a possible cause, but then why wouldn't it have done it the first two times I started it up? After the longest down time being while it sat on the lot, and after the long test drive?

OP
OP

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When Mine smoked, it only smoked one huge puffs at start up. Friday I moved it to put it up on ramps. It gave a puff of smoke, but not as large. I had gotten the bank 1 o2 sensor 2 error code. I changed the sensor. Since then, it hasn't smoked like that at all. I don't believe that the O2 caused the change, because not only did the smoke lessen, but it also went away too quickly after the repair.

Then this morning I get a catalytic convertor deficiency error on the same side. So I guess the O2 wasn't measuring correctly, and now that it is, it doesn't like what it sees.

OP
OP

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well my puff of smoke is back. It went almost 6 weeks with no issue, then suddenly it's back. It's a very heavy smoke. As in, as it dissipates, it stays only a few feet from the ground. It doesn't dissipate up like you'd think that smoke would.

I read that it could be a faulty PCV valve, so I got a new one of those last night. I installed it in the parking lot of the parts store. It still smoked this morning when I left for work.

It was only ever that one big puff, but on the way home from the parts store, for the first mile or so, there was a steady stream of light smoke, with a bigger puff if I gave it some extra throttle. Then that stopped after a mile. This morning it gave the puff and then a little bit for the first 2 blocks, then it quit.

We'll see when i leave work today if it does it again. If it does, I guess it's not the PCV.

It's very light in color, white or gray. Can't tell if it's blue, but its definately not black.

OP
OP

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it was light colored, so not black. I also didnt do it when I left work.So perhaps the PCV valve did it.

I did however have my front passenger side spark plug blow out on the way home.