Soft brake pedal feel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aleks

Reaction score
While test driving 2018 Expedition - and generally really liking the car - brake pedal feel stood out - way too soft. To the extend I was not sure brakes were working properly (they were - car was stopping well with distinct tire noise when under braking).

Is soft brake feel common in those vehicles? Unfortunately dealer had only one in stock for me to try.

Thank you

Yukon Joe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While test driving 2018 Expedition - and generally really liking the car - brake pedal feel stood out - way too soft. To the extend I was not sure brakes were working properly (they were - car was stopping well with distinct tire noise when under braking).

Is soft brake feel common in those vehicles? Unfortunately dealer had only one in stock for me to try.

Thank you
According to other industry reviews, soft brake pedal is a very present, giving the drive a lack of confidence in the large SUV.

https://www.edmunds.com/ford/expedition/2018/suv/

@Yukon Joe

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you drive both versions? I drove both and noticed the brake feel is way better in the max for some reason

rumline

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can anything be done aftermarket to firm that up? New fluid, stainless lines?

Regan DeMello

Reaction score
I haven’t experienced it in my Limited, I do notice that it’s stiffer when my collision sensor picks something up and I step on it, but that’s just the truck doing its thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18-FX4-GUY

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I put Stop Tech slotted rotors and pads on my 2014 F150 and was a big difference in stopping power. I purchased them at Stage 3 motorsports which they run on their own vehicles. I'm looking into doing the same on the Ex too coming from that to the feel of stock brakes is big.

JennyD

Reaction score
I did notice that the brake was a little softer than I am used to, but it wasn't overly so; it didn't make me nervous or anything. I do think the Max we drove felt a little stiffer in the brakes, @dlcorbett.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is soft, more so than id like, but def not an issue. The brakes do pre charge when u have acc on or the pre collision system detects anything, they stop the car quick fast and in a hurry and theres barely an inch in travel to stop.