Spare Tire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone know if you can/should store a 22' wheel and tire under the vehicle for a spare?

There's no reason why you couldn't store a 22" wheel/tire since the overall diameter is the same as the stock spare, but it would need to be removed and cleaned periodically from all the road grime (salt in northern states) if you want it to remain in good condition. If it was used as a 5th wheel/tire and rotated with the other tires, it would need a TPMS sensor. I doubt that the stock spare has a TPMS sensor.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The issue you will likely run into is the bracket on the end of the tether you lower will need to be swapped out or modified.
The hub bore on the steel spare wheels is much larger allowing the bracket to pass through.

I know the 1st gen Raptors came with the same spare wheel (just black) and still had the smaller hub bore but I am not sure what their bracket looks like.

Unless you are getting a killer deal on a spare 22” wheel. Why would you want to do this? The wheels get pretty nasty under there no matter what you do.

OP
OP
Page W Sutton

Page W Sutton

Reaction score
I had someone shoot a bullet through my tire/wheel Saturday night. Insurance covered the repair. I have a shop that will repair the old wheel for $120 so ......

OP
OP
Page W Sutton

Page W Sutton

Reaction score
Thought about greasing the wheel to protect it as a spare but I think I am just going to store the wheel for later use