Spark Plug Issue / Preventative

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All,

Did some searching online, as well on this forum specifically, and it does not appear that Ford stepped up and did the right thing regarding the "spark plug ejection". Did I miss something? Was a recall issued, or was the class action suit settled?

Also, has anyone preempted this condition and installed an aftermarket set of heads in lieu of dealing with this, especially at some unforeseen and potentially dangerous time?

Been a while since I was in the in the Ford Performance game... and back then it was Fox body Mustangs.

Hammer

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford redesigned the 2V heads in 2003 to have 8 threads on the plug holes rather than 4 threads. This solved the plugs from blowing out. Do not know of a lawsuit or recall regarding the issue.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
You can buy ford racing pi heads that have the 8 thread count from summit. I have TFS heads but they a few $$ more.

The ford racing heads are Romeo so if you have a windsor you need romeo valve covers to go with them as they are different. The timing cover bolt holes (in the heads) are also smaller so you need to tap them out larger or get the smaller diameter romeo bolts. The TFS heads will take either valve covers but are identical to the romeo as far as the timing cover bolt holes. I tapped mine out to the larger size.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Toms - how do I tell if I "... have a windsor..."? Also, checked Summit for "ford racing pi heads" - nothing doing? Am I searching incorrectly?
I did a search and found these: Cylinder Heads
BTW - really nice job on the build thread... reminds me of working on my mustang and my buddies' cars...

SWAGGA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Romeo valve covers have 11 bolts, Windsor valve covers have 13.

Speaking of which, I need a set of romeo valve covers... anyone? lol