Spark plug questions/misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueStangGT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since you’re in Dallas there’s tons of shops to choose from. I’ll bet you’ll find one that’s done this procedure within 3 phone calls. Make sure they’ll follow the Ford TSB instructions and will take responsibility for any mistakes. I’d started the process on mine with a Seafoam treatment before I got cold feet on completing the job. I’d already bought the plugs and even picked up a can of the actual recommended Motorcraft carb cleaner. I ended up negotiating a deal with a local shop to do the rest of it.

Last edited:

drokmofo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would only use motorcraft plugs. SP546 replaced the dumb 2 piece 518. If u order on Amazon.com make sure u are getting the sp546.

kenf

Reaction score
I'm having issues with my truck, when pressing on the gas at times it jerks. If I let off, or if I press on it hard it goes away. I have taken it to a couple of shops and all they do is run a scan but nothing comes up, they push back on messing with it until the computer registers an issue. Reading post and watching some videos, I think it might be spark plugs/coil packs. I was planning on replacing them as I'm sure they are way past due (bought truck with 120k) it's now at 148k so even if it's not the issue they need to be replaced.

1st question) would you guys/gals agree that the spark plugs and coils might be the culprit? (No check engine light but I read many post where people said they had coil/plug problems with no check engine light.

2) my truck was made Feb of 2007, I read they stopped using the 2 piece plugs in 07 and some people with 07s dont have the plug breaking issues, is this false?

2007 expedition
4wd
148k miles
The fuel pump was replaced last year along with fuel filter

kenf

Reaction score
Hi, Have a 2007 built in Oct 2007. The truck did come with the 2-piece plug. Got to 110000 kms or 65K miles. Decided to change out plugs as i knew the 2 piece where an issue. Went to a friends garage and 4 out of 8 plugs broke. Fortunately the garage had a Ford plug removal tool and also experience on Fords and the 4 plug bottoms were removed. If you plan on keeping the truck then go for the plugs first as mine was also showing Cat converter issues first, changed the sensors out same problem. The fix was the plugs. Another idea is to try and use a penetrating oil for a couple of days prior to trying to get them out.
Good luck

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Make sure they’ll follow the Ford TSB instructions and will take responsibility for any mistakes.

Like I said ...

The "official" method of spark plug removal is a pain. Most professional mechanics do it on a hot engine and use an impact wrench. This method has had great success. Do one side, restart the car, bring it back up to temp and then do the other side.

Arni Atlason

Reaction score
I had similar issue when I bought my expedition 2007 model 137.000 miles.
When pushed pedal hard under load it did misfire.

Took it to dealer he changed spark plugs and cap after that havent got misfire since.

OP
OP
Ps4acc88

Ps4acc88

Reaction score
Update:

Still no check engine light but I got p0300 code, random misfire. After more driving it gave p0301 code, cylinder 1 misfire. I had a feeling it was the plugs/coil packs all along after a lot of research, but updating constantly as this seems to be an issue for many. So I want those having issues to have detailed info. Ordered new cop & plugs. Should have them replaced by sometime next week. Will update after.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Update:

Still no check engine light but I got p0300 code, random misfire. After more driving it gave p0301 code, cylinder 1 misfire. I had a feeling it was the plugs/coil packs all along after a lot of research, but updating constantly as this seems to be an issue for many. So I want those having issues to have detailed info. Ordered new cop & plugs. Should have them replaced by sometime next week. Will update after.
Mode 6 that you posted from your scanner tells the entire story. Cylinder 1 is the worst but still some misfires on the rest

OP
OP
Ps4acc88

Ps4acc88

Reaction score
Mode 6 that you posted from your scanner tells the entire story. Cylinder 1 is the worst but still some misfires on the rest

Right, and I want to document my experience because many out there swear you have to get a check engine light if it's the plugs or cop

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Right, and I want to document my experience because many out there swear you have to get a check engine light if it's the plugs or cop
That blinking SES light guarantees it's a misfire but doesn't fault to give you a location. So I think most wait for the fault to show before taking action so they know where to start