Spark Plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Bain64

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Might just have to tear into it this weekend, curious about the rear 2 plugs now.. I need to grab 8 sparky-boys and some cold brew

Plati

Reaction score
Is there an electronic tool that can report on the effectivity of the firing in all 8 cylinders? I know the vehicle will log faults that can be read if there is a big problem like misfires but if it's a minor defect affecting engine performance ... Is that detectable?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
A good scan tool will read the number of misses in each cylinder in real time and can be checked under different loads and conditions..

OP
OP
Bain64

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check out these bad boys, from a 99 Durango 5.2. The dealership owners wife was the prior owner, I was assured that it was very well maintained. A couple months after purchasing and it was slow to start, found this beautiful sight.

W043l5J.jpg

pnoL6SI.jpg

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If funds allow a Snap on or Matco scanner are your best. Used ones can be picked up fairly cheap on the web sales like eBay, etc. Make sure it's capable of what you want though. All readers can do codes, the better ones do cylinder balance, along with fuel trims, spark kv readings and such. It's kinds of a pain on 5.4 motors, but a good old fashioned compression test with a screw in hose and gauge can't be beat, to determine a sound engine.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Bain64

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got a cheap wifi OBD2 scanner, but have occasional access to a SnapOn Solus Pro. I'll have to check on a misfire count...

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bain those Durango plugs were Champions. So they could've been changed that year and still looked like that .... :cheers:

OP
OP
Bain64

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bain those Durango plugs were Champions. So they could've been changed that year and still looked like that .... :cheers:
Ha, are they that bad? I can't say for sure, it's been too long, but I think I stuck Champions back in it per some Chyrsler forum. We sold the Durango back around 2010, it was great to us save for burning a little more than a quart of oil every 1,000 miles.

sscharlie

Reaction score
I've never seen anything snap on that was cheap. Extremely over priced for a name.

OP
OP
Bain64

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, the plugs were in pretty good shape and probably could've lasted the remaining life of the motor (or frame, whichever fails first on my salt & gravel road expy). However I'm glad I changed them, the #3 plug on the passenger side was loose and might've ejected itself eventually. The worst gap was 56-57, which is pretty good versus the 54 original.

At least now I know the plug history.

Old pass side vs new:
dvzzP9H.jpg

All 8 old plugs:
OOZBJFG.jpg