Speaker upgrade worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

purevw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It may not be true of the newer vehicles, but from past experience, Ford factory speakers have plastic frames and less than spectacular magnet assemblies. My 2011 Expy King Ranch El is an example. Two very important factors of speakers are frame rigidity and strength of the magnet for controlling unwanted cone oscillations. Even with "name brand" head units, Ford seems to put cost ahead of quality when it comes to speakers. Pretty much any reasonable quality aftermarket speaker is far superior in sound reproduction, range, and accuracy.

Scottorama

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm thinking about replacing my 2019 xlt speakers. Which Alpine speakers did you get?
Here is my build sheet..... also be ready with glue gun, and take your time.... there are a ton of youtube videos to walk you through the process.... i think the scariest installation was cutting the back doors to install the tweeters.... there is no going back once that first cut is made.....

Attachments

• 20221003_094905.jpg
    20221003_094905.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is my build sheet..... also be ready with glue gun, and take your time.... there are a ton of youtube videos to walk you through the process.... i think the scariest installation was cutting the back doors to install the tweeters.... there is no going back once that first cut is made.....
Crutchfield? Just curious...

Last edited:

Grizguy

Reaction score
2018 expy max.. When new, there was not a replacement head unit. I put in a processor, I put in all new speakers 1000 watt amp plus a 500 watt sub amp with 10 inch sub mounted in the rear floor. Sound is crystal clear .. can be VERY loud. Still lacks the base you get in other brand cars stock. The acoustics can bring tears to your eyes. I had a huge screen Phoenix head unit ordered.. after waiting almost 2 years, I requested a refund. Speakers will help. Crutchfield will try to push kickers. I did put them in my transit. along with a bunch of other stuff..

Defyant

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did this in my 04 Marauder. Huge difference. Ive read the OEM system is detuned to reduce power so speakers wont break. B&O isnt all that. Perhaps a speaker upgrade and Forscan to unleash the power is in order....

Overtow

Reaction score
I took the Expy on a road trip two weeks ago and the weak base Sync 3 audio setup finally pushed me over the edge. Without doing much research, I bought new 6x9's for the front doors and a new front center channel Infinity Reference for both. When I got the center channel speakers, the box says "True 4 Ohm" and I had a flashback to high school and all the time I spent doing useless speaker impedance calculations. Long story short, I googled the impedance of the center channel speaker - 8 ohms. I broke out the multimeter and checked the impedance on the new 3.5" center speaker - 2.5(!) Ohms. (Impedance on the factory center channel speaker was in fact 7.5 Ohms.)

My gut tells me I'm going to fry the center channel output on my factory radio IF I run this speaker.

Does anyone have a technical specification doc for the base Sync 3 system that explains the outputs and maybe the impedance for the various speakers? I've done a bunch of googling and can't find anything definitive that I trust.

#TIA!

Scottorama

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I took the Expy on a road trip two weeks ago and the weak base Sync 3 audio setup finally pushed me over the edge. Without doing much research, I bought new 6x9's for the front doors and a new front center channel Infinity Reference for both. When I got the center channel speakers, the box says "True 4 Ohm" and I had a flashback to high school and all the time I spent doing useless speaker impedance calculations. Long story short, I googled the impedance of the center channel speaker - 8 ohms. I broke out the multimeter and checked the impedance on the new 3.5" center speaker - 2.5(!) Ohms. (Impedance on the factory center channel speaker was in fact 7.5 Ohms.)

My gut tells me I'm going to fry the center channel output on my factory radio IF I run this speaker.

Does anyone have a technical specification doc for the base Sync 3 system that explains the outputs and maybe the impedance for the various speakers? I've done a bunch of googling and can't find anything definitive that I trust.

#TIA!
I replaced all factory speakers with 4 ohm Alipne speakers and the sound balances between them all. You should be ok as long as your replace all the old speakers with new speakers the same ohm rating. (All new speakers rated at 4 ohms or all new speakers rated at 8ohms...)

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had many vehicles with many types of custom audio systems. I have to say I'm very pleased with my B&O 12 speaker system. The balance is incredible, clarity is very good, and bass response is perfect. I prefer the surround setting, but it does lose a little bass. I find, keeping surround on, if I bump the bass up almost all the way in the EQ, with mid setting at a little above center and treble around 75%, I have the perfect listening experience at pretty much any level. Add to that the noise cancelling and speed adjustment features, I feel it sounds more balanced than my last vehicle's custom 12 speaker with sub. The only thing that was better was the 2 12" subs in the rear doors of my Excursion.