Speaker wiring on a '97 Expy XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

White Knight

Reaction score
I couldn't take the stock radio anymore and instead bought a Poineer DEH-P6700MP CD/MP3 player. I'm decent at installinging, so why not do it myself? Well, it's never simple in my life, there's always a problem. I got an adaperter, but it only came with the side to install the power, battery, etc. I installed that easily, and it turns on and off fine. Now all that was left was the speakers. I had to cut the wires and match them up. Only problem, there are 16, not 8. I was not able to locate ONE SINGLE SPEAKER! I did the battery test and still could not find a single speaker. This is strange indeed! The colors on the Expy's end are light grey, orange, green w/black, white w/red, dark grey, purple w/white, blue, tan(?), purple, green w/red, black, green, white w/orange, blue w/black, yellow, and blue w/red/. Please, someone help me!

BikeRider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The reason is that the harness you are speaking of probably goes to a factory amplifier that is in the rear passenger quarter panel. At least that's the case with the 10 or so Explorers that I've installed the radio in for that. The speaker leads are back there and you'll have to run the leads to where the output is from the amplifier. They do make an adapter now though that would have fit the factory harness. The other option is just to run new speaker wire to the factory locations.

OP
OP
W

White Knight

Reaction score
Originally posted by BikeRider
The reason is that the harness you are speaking of probably goes to a factory amplifier that is in the rear passenger quarter panel. At least that's the case with the 10 or so Explorers that I've installed the radio in for that. The speaker leads are back there and you'll have to run the leads to where the output is from the amplifier. They do make an adapter now though that would have fit the factory harness. The other option is just to run new speaker wire to the factory locations.

Can I get this adapter in any audio store, and what should I call it? What would you suggest I do for a new, good head unit (Pionerr 50x4, .mp3 player)? Should I just forget about the amp? Would it sound better with or without it?

BikeRider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, forget about the amplifier, it would take some work to get the harness back on if you've already cut it and it won't sound much better. The internal amp in your new Pioneer is probably better than the factory one. I would suggest running new wire to the factory locations. My other suggestion is to replace the front speakers as well, then you'll really hear the difference. Nice choice on the deck as well. ;)

BikeRider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ah, do you have rear radio controls as well? If so, that's probably some of the other wires. Sorry, just remembered that. No worries though, just continue with my above suggestions.

OP
OP
W

White Knight

Reaction score
Originally posted by BikeRider
Ah, do you have rear radio controls as well? If so, that's probably some of the other wires. Sorry, just remembered that. No worries though, just continue with my above suggestions.

Yep, rear radio controls as well. I'll see if I can get it today at Circiot City. If not, I'll wire it tomorrow.

Sh0wty

Reaction score
Hey White Knight, Have a question for you.

I have a 97 XLT 4x4 with the "premium sound". the Radio it comes with no CD, and im looking for a stock Ford CD player to fit for the meantime but when i look on ebay for expedition cd players, I see diff ones with diff harness connections in the rear. All I know about my radio is it has the 4 holes in the front but not sure which wire harness I should look for. Maybe you can tell me which one yours has. Im trying to find out w/o taking out the actual radio..

Thanks.

BikeRider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just take out the radio, it's a 2 minute job with the U Hook tools. They sell them for like $2 at Wal Mart, AutoZone, etc.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edyk1986