Speed Bleeders?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have experienced poor fitting pads. One set fit so tight, I couldn't put them on. Another set my mechanic put on, had to be put on a grinder.

I answered this before

Last, when installing the pads, thoroughly clean the areas on the caliper behind where the stainless steel clips are installed. Sand blast or powered wire wheel is required. If, after installing the clips the pads do not easily fit, you need more cleaning.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's getting harder and harder to find rebuild kits for these, especially at the parts stores as they don't want to give you the option. They want to sell you the caliper and often that comes with the caliper bracket also. Luckily the prices aren't too out of line. You can't even buy wheel cylinder rebuild kits anymore. We tried for like an 06 Ford Focus and all they had was the wheel cylinder. It's cheap enough but I don't want to worry about the line twisting off when removing so I took the parts out of the new one and luckily they were the same and used them to rebuild the old leaky one.

tack87

Reaction score
I got everything needed for my rebuild at carid for a decent price, they even had the pistons (which was my problem).

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just went online at Rock Auto, and tried both my 2000, and a 2010 Expedition, and their were basic, and better kits with o ring and boot. So if you want to clean out your old Ford calipers and pop in an oring and boot, there available. When I rebuild motorcycle calipers, 90 percent of the time I reuse the oring. I soak it with a little brake seal installing fluid, and pop it back in it's groove. Never had an issue or leak. If you pull apart yours, and the piston and bore are jacked up, then buy a couple of calipers.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

tack87

Reaction score
If you pull apart yours, and the piston and bore are jacked up, then buy a couple of calipers.

Only if the bore is jacked, the pistons are still cheap 20 bucks if I remember correctly.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is Carid? The problem is people don't often buy rebuild kits online.
They take car apart and need it fixed same day so they get what is at store.
They don't know they need kits when before they take it apart. They figure just pads or pads and rotors but once you take it apart and see the cracked disintegrating phenolic piston...you need one sooner than Rock Auto or ebay.
Now I love to order and save lots of bucks but it doesn't lend itself well to things like this.
Sway bar end links and front end parts it does asn you can see whats worn out before you tear into it.

tack87

Reaction score
What is Carid? The problem is people don't often buy rebuild kits online.
They take car apart and need it fixed same day so they get what is at store.
They don't know they need kits when before they take it apart. They figure just pads or pads and rotors but once you take it apart and see the cracked disintegrating phenolic piston...you need one sooner than Rock Auto or ebay.
Now I love to order and save lots of bucks but it doesn't lend itself well to things like this.
Sway bar end links and front end parts it does asn you can see whats worn out before you tear into it.
Well ok my expy is no longer my daily driver, it is now my toy. So I have the time to have it off the road. However I still anticipate on needing parts, if I have a nasty pull... I know about what to look for.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the bore is jacked up, a new pistons a waste of time. And yeah Toby, your right if you can't get o rings and pistons locally a new calipers your only option. See, I haven't worked on cars full time in over 20 years. Back then, I had a parts shop here in SF, that could get me anything. Besides, if it was a customer's car, I'd usually go with loaded calipers. Caliper kits were for me, or close friends, that I was hooking up.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker