Starter solenoid/relay location 2003

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where is the relay/solenoid located on my 2003?

The problems NEVER cease to exist on my expedition...

Was outside this morning, its raining and the damn truck started starting itself... The doors are were locked, no key in the ignition, etc. So, I crapped myself, ran into the garage, got a wrench and disconnected the positive terminal.

So far I removed the #1 relay inside and tried to apply power...still tries to start. Then pulled fuse #101, and tried again, still tries to start itself. On my old expedition(1997) the the starter had a solenoid on the starter itself. Is there a separate location on the firewall/fender for a solenoid or relay? I cant get the damn thing in the garage, since the camper is in the driveway. Cant get the camper out of the driveway without the truck... So, have to wait till it quits raining! I am hoping the the positive wire is loose on the starter and is touching the starter solenoid terminal(probably not likely though).

When it rains it pours... no pun intended!!

Plati

Reaction score
Is there any chance your wife is in the house watching with the remote starter getting even with you for something?

A few years ago I convinced my nephews I could start my Expy just by thinking about it.
The poor kids may be scarred for life. I'm a bad uncle.

Just kidding about the wife thing.
Cant wait to hear what this is.
I think an Exorcism is required.

...might be worth googling it also

Last edited:

R W Carpenter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where is the relay/solenoid located on my 2003?

The problems NEVER cease to exist on my expedition...

Was outside this morning, its raining and the damn truck started starting itself... The doors are were locked, no key in the ignition, etc. So, I crapped myself, ran into the garage, got a wrench and disconnected the positive terminal.

So far I removed the #1 relay inside and tried to apply power...still tries to start. Then pulled fuse #101, and tried again, still tries to start itself. On my old expedition(1997) the the starter had a solenoid on the starter itself. Is there a separate location on the firewall/fender for a solenoid or relay? I cant get the damn thing in the garage, since the camper is in the driveway. Cant get the camper out of the driveway without the truck... So, have to wait till it quits raining! I am hoping the the positive wire is loose on the starter and is touching the starter solenoid terminal(probably not likely though).

When it rains it pours... no pun intended!!

The Solenoid (according to the service manual) is located on the Starter.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
John your starter solenoid is located below your battery tray. Easiest way is follow positive cable coming off battery. You've had a lot of rain lately it sounds like. My 2000 starting cranking while running, but mine has the Gem module that was getting wet, shorting all kinds of things. I believe your year has a smart junction box that possibly got wet. The other possibility is your ignition switch electrical part shorted, or key tumbler is stuck. You'll need to do a little more detective work sorry to say.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
NEVER under any circumstances disconnect your positive battery terminal first! Always do the negative one.

The reason is if you touch ground with your wrench while working on the positive terminal you create a dead short and could cause the battery to explode or just arc weld the wrench to the grounded part you touched

So get into the habit anytime you disconnect the battery always do the negative one first

mechanics 101

R W Carpenter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
NEVER under any circumstances disconnect your positive battery terminal first! Always do the negative one.

The reason is if you touch ground with your wrench while working on the positive terminal you create a dead short and could cause the battery to explode or just arc weld the wrench to the grounded part you touched

So get into the habit anytime you disconnect the battery always do the negative one first

mechanics 101

Completely true. I missed that in his original post.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But when adrenaline is pumping like a short taking place you grab that 8 mm and yank that cable. You don't even look at what cable your disconnecting. No, stopping the smoke or Sparks is paramount at that moment. It's happened to every mechanic at least once. Usually it's from some other bonehead that shorted out something, and its panic time your on deck to stop the emergency!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's also the reason positive DC power is always marked red

I would never grab for the battery positive but that's because it's drilled into what's left of my gray matter

Not blaming you for what you did just thought I would state the correct safe way for anyone reading along