Steering Damper to stop wheel jerking.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TDGFordGuy

TDGFordGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not lifted. Just the Limited Edition metalic Gray for 2013. Not really sure how Limited the paint color was cause my 2013 Taurus is the same color and it was a fleet vehicle owned by CA DMV.

1521667005.jpg

Jeremygsu

Reaction score
How worn are your shocks?

My '15 was doing this badly with 68k on the clock and stock shocks. I recently swapped to new KYB Excel G struts/shocks at 68k and it virtually eliminated the problem unless the bump is real bad then it still does it a little bit.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How worn are your shocks?

My '15 was doing this badly with 68k on the clock and stock shocks. I recently swapped to new KYB Excel G struts/shocks at 68k and it virtually eliminated the problem unless the bump is real bad then it still does it a little bit.
Sounds like a band aid, it shouldn't jerk with worn out shocks.

OP
OP
TDGFordGuy

TDGFordGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, did some snooping on the Ford-Truck Enthusiast forums; found pics of dampers on R&P F-150 that were lifted. Dropping the lower A arm made room for the damper. Not so in my stock 4x4 Exp. Even if I could mount it (possibly) there just isn't enough vertical clearance between the steering arm and the lower A-arm if the wheel was shoved up to full-travel stop position. It would be risky to have it crammed in there. There's a little front-end shop down the street; I'll get my 1st estimate. Then to a shop in the next town that has a that city's vehicle maintenance/repair contract. Then the the bend-me-over Dealer.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Steering dampers are for fixing issues with LARGE, heavy tires. If you’ve got problems with small tires, you’ve got other issues.

Jeremygsu

Reaction score
Sounds like a band aid, it shouldn't jerk with worn out shocks.

There are a number of complaints of this with brand new Expeditions on the Gen 4 section so I don't know what would cause it. Can't imagine worn out steering dampers on new ones, but many are complaining of prematurely worn out shocks, some as little as 7k on them getting replaced. Seems to align?

OP
OP
TDGFordGuy

TDGFordGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are a number of complaints of this with brand new Expeditions on the Gen 4 section so I don't know what would cause it. Can't imagine worn out steering dampers on new ones, but many are complaining of prematurely worn out shocks, some as little as 7k on them getting replaced. Seems to align?
Sounds like struts are a quick simple way to start. If the bump steer persists, I'll check ball joints/linkage, then on to R&P unit. Have air-ride on the rear (which I personally love) so only 2 struts to replace.