Steering Damper to stop wheel jerking.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TDGFordGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Everytime I hit a large bump with my 2013 EL on only one side of the truck, the steering wheel wants to jerk out of my hand and the truck tries to change lanes.

Anyone know of a steering damper that will fit?

I've owned 2 other 3rd Gens and they didn't drive like that.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Everytime I hit a large bump with my 2013 EL on only one side of the truck, the steering wheel wants to jerk out of my hand and the truck tries to change lanes.

Anyone know of a steering damper that will fit?

I've owned 2 other 3rd Gens and they didn't drive like that.

I don’t know if a steering damper will fit - but I’d bet you have some type of front suspension problem (worn or damaged parts). Are your tires inflated to the recommended pressure? Have you modified or “lifted” the suspension?

OP
OP
TDGFordGuy

TDGFordGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t know if a steering damper will fit - but I’d bet you have some type of front suspension problem (worn or damaged parts). Are your tires inflated to the recommended pressure? Have you modified or “lifted” the suspension?
You mean those 40" Micky Thompsons will change how it handles?

OP
OP
TDGFordGuy

TDGFordGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But seriously, maybe damaged /worm lower ball joint? I get a strange clunk noise if I go over bumps while turning left from the front right side.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TDGFordGuy

TDGFordGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
3rd gens have a rack and pinion steering system, therefore no place for a steering damper.

Fix those balls joints.
Well, There's a couple companies that make a bolt on for same year F150. But they all say won't fit the Exp as a bolt on. Tempted to buy one through Amazon and check fitment. Drilling a coupke holes in the k rail is no biggie. But if total not fit, then can return to amazon.

But ya, sounds like I need to take to a good front-end shop. Those are hard to find in SF's East Bay Area.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve never seen a damper on a rack and pinion. Not even sure where it would go.