Steering wheel loose?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GaryB

Reaction score
ok, I've been chasing a sound feeling for a week or so now. When I turn the wheel, once in a while I hear a click. I can feel it in the wheel. I thought it may be the u joints in the column, but when I parked it after work, I realized that you can push (not rotate) the wheel left to right about 1/8" if you try. When you do, you hear the noise I've been hearing. What could cause this? Is it normal with these vehicles?

Last edited:

richs fishes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a weird sort of "clicking" noise from the steering wheel. Also had a bit of play that sort of seemed like worn out tie rod ends. Changing out the lower steering shaft with the u-joints fixed all that for me.

Bill Schmidt

Reaction score
I just got the expedition 187K miles and dont know the maint history. I have noticed that slight click or gap in the steering at times. I'll try it sitting still.

Is this the part you fixed?

pic:

Annotation 2019-09-03 131153.png

Bill Schmidt

Reaction score
I remembered to test this sitting still and its firm no tick or click. I only notice the slight tick or click in the steering wheel every once in a while while driving and turning the wheel.

richs fishes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I remembered to test this sitting still and its firm no tick or click. I only notice the slight tick or click in the steering wheel every once in a while while driving and turning the wheel.

Its probably the u-joint starting to seize up. Once I took my shaft out I was amazed how bad the u-joints really were. One of them could not be moved by hand! Amazed it didnt feel worse when turning the steering wheel.

Bill Schmidt

Reaction score
OK I finally figured out the sound. The steering wheel has some vertical play in it. Sitting still I can move the steering wheel up and down (toward the roof toward the floor to be perfectly clear) it only move like a 1/16" and make the slight tick sound.

it does not do it turning the wheel only exerting force toward roof or floor.

any concern?

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK I finally figured out the sound. The steering wheel has some vertical play in it. Sitting still I can move the steering wheel up and down (toward the roof toward the floor to be perfectly clear) it only move like a 1/16" and make the slight tick sound.

it does not do it turning the wheel only exerting force toward roof or floor.

any concern?
Can you tell if the wheel is moving on the steering shaft, or is the tilt assembly moving as a whole?