Strange Engine/Turbo Behavior - Post 5Star Tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi All,

I Actually started talking about this issue in a different thread, in the 5Star forum, but I figured I'd post it here since it's not directly associated with the previous thread.
Here's the original thread, for reference. https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/five-star-tuned-2019-ecoboost-expedition.46013/post-446102

So here's the scoop. As many of you know and as you can tell by my signature line, I have quite a few mods, many of which I actually bought from 5Star. So a few weeks ago, I ordered a BullyDog tuner from them, with four tunes, 87 and 91 versions of the daily driver/tow and performance tunes, supposedly adapted for my modifications. So far most things have been great.

However, this last weekend, I took her on a 3.5hr drive each way through the CO mountains, up and over several passes. I started to notice a strange behavior during light acceleration at highway speeds. I was truly worried I wouldn't be able to replicate it very well, but today it happened, again on a highway under light acceleration. I'm currently using the 87 daily driver/tow tune. And to be clear, with 20k miles on this, and nothing else done to it in months, I can sort of only blame the tune. Curious if anyone has seen this. Essentially, when you watch the video, you'll notice the boost gauge freaking out. Hi and low, hi and low, hi and low very rapidly. And I apologize for the music in the background (didn't have time to shut it off while reaching for my phone) but if you turn up the volume, you can hear the blow off valve dropping pressure rapidly as the boost gauge drops.

I'm going to call 5Star and talk to them about it, but i'm curious if anyone else has seen this or has any ideas?

Sorry, link below, not sure when it happened but it appears as though we can't embed youtube now? Only Apple Music? What's that all about?

Crazy Turbos

Last edited:

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi All,

I Actually started talking about this issue in a different thread, in the 5Star forum, but I figured I'd post it here since it's not directly associated with the previous thread.
Here's the original thread, for reference. https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/five-star-tuned-2019-ecoboost-expedition.46013/post-446102

So here's the scoop. As many of you know and as you can tell by my signature line, I have quite a few mods, many of which I actually bought from 5Star. So a few weeks ago, I ordered a BullyDog tuner from them, with four tunes, 87 and 91 versions of the daily driver/tow and performance tunes, supposedly adapted for my modifications. So far most things have been great.

However, this last weekend, I took her on a 3.5hr drive each way through the CO mountains, up and over several passes. I started to notice a strange behavior during light acceleration at highway speeds. I was truly worried I wouldn't be able to replicate it very well, but today it happened, again on a highway under light acceleration. I'm currently using the 87 daily driver/tow tune. And to be clear, with 20k miles on this, and nothing else done to it in months, I can sort of only blame the tune. Curious if anyone has seen this. Essentially, when you watch the video, you'll notice the boost gauge freaking out. Hi and low, hi and low, hi and low very rapidly. And I apologize for the music in the background (didn't have time to shut it off while reaching for my phone) but if you turn up the volume, you can hear the blow off valve dropping pressure rapidly as the boost gauge drops.

I'm going to call 5Star and talk to them about it, but i'm curious if anyone else has seen this or has any ideas?

Sorry, link below, not sure when it happened but it appears as though we can't embed youtube now? Only Apple Music? What's that all about?

Crazy Turbos
I have had 5Star tunes (93 perf, 93/89/87 daily/street/tow) flashed via HP-tuners/RTD on mine for over a year now. I 90% of the time run the 93 perf. MPG AVG dropped a lot. Went from 17-18 to 14.5-15.5 MPG. When I go on a trip of more then a 2 hour each way drive I throw on the 93 daily and the stock tires. HWY MPG AVG goes to 20-22 and around the house to 16-17 MPG. Eco mode on this same tune makes cruise control slow at adding speed & the same for normal acceleration. No MPG added at all for me. I have never had my turbo PSI gauge do what you mentioned

Last edited:

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just had a similar experience with 5Star and a 91 tune...

I live in Texas so I have run the 93 daily/tow tune since I got it and have never had an issue. I was going on a trip to Colorado and flashed the 91 tune since 93 is unavailable. I made it almost all the way to New Mexico border with nothing strange happening. Then I noticed I would have turbo flutter/compressor surge under light acceleration at highway speeds. It did not occur all the time so I emailed 5Star and kept driving. I drove through the mountains and back with it not occurring again. Then coming back almost near the area it occurred on the way to Colorado, the problem came back. I got home and drove 91 tune for a week and it never happened again. 5Star did email me a new 91 tune to try, but I had already flashed my 93 and the problem is gone.

OP
OP
5280tunage

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just had a similar experience with 5Star and a 91 tune...

I live in Texas so I have run the 93 daily/tow tune since I got it and have never had an issue. I was going on a trip to Colorado and flashed the 91 tune since 93 is unavailable. I made it almost all the way to New Mexico border with nothing strange happening. Then I noticed I would have turbo flutter/compressor surge under light acceleration at highway speeds. It did not occur all the time so I emailed 5Star and kept driving. I drove through the mountains and back with it not occurring again. Then coming back almost near the area it occurred on the way to Colorado, the problem came back. I got home and drove 91 tune for a week and it never happened again. 5Star did email me a new 91 tune to try, but I had already flashed my 93 and the problem is gone.
Thanks so much for the response, I'm both sad and glad that at least one other person has experienced this. I'll get on the horn with 5Star today and see what they say.

I wish they had some printed details on their site about what each tune does. Doesn't need to be exact, but you know, something like the 87 Daily driver tweaks these 8 things to improve performance while trying to maintain gas mileage... etc.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the response, I'm both sad and glad that at least one other person has experienced this. I'll get on the horn with 5Star today and see what they say.

I wish they had some printed details on their site about what each tune does. Doesn't need to be exact, but you know, something like the 87 Daily driver tweaks these 8 things to improve performance while trying to maintain gas mileage... etc.
I wish they explained things more as well... when I asked about changes made to my tune after adding AMS inlet pipes all I got was, " probably advance timing some". (In this person's defense, he was not the person tuning things)

The 93 tune has been rock solid though... not sure what hiccup is in the 91.

Team_Z

Reaction score
Hi All,

Crazy Turbos
I’ve had this exact issue happen, I just have an AFE Stage II intake and canned SCT tunes. Was running on 91 tune when it first happened to me. I tuned it back to stock, and it periodically did the same thing.

Team_Z

Reaction score
Reviving this thread, anyone Else having this issue? Mine seems to be getting worse.

OP
OP
5280tunage

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Reviving this thread, anyone Else having this issue? Mine seems to be getting worse.
I did contact 5star, and they initially changed things on my 87 daily driver tow tune to see if it helped matters. I confirmed after almost 2 weeks of driving including a couple of mountain passes, that I did not experience the turbo flutter anymore. I then contacted them back and asked them to go ahead and change the other three tunes that they did for me, and so far everything seems to be pretty good. I'm happy to give anyone my information if you want it, so you can refer to my situation when working with 5star. They seem to be pretty knowledgeable about what might cause the turbo surge, I would hope they could fix this pretty easily for other folks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze