Strange hum from rear of '17 Expy Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stotadude

Reaction score
I purchased a 2017 Expedition 2 years ago and it is the greatest vehicle we have ever owned. We now have 81K on it and it performs excellent except for one small problem that showed up after a brake job. The brake job consisted of new pads and rotors all around and cost $700 at a small garage where I have started doing business.

Shortly after the brake job I stated noticiing a noise coming from the rear at speeds of about 45-55mph. It smoothed out above 60 and below 40. I thought of tire imbalance but I got no sensation in the steering wheel. Applying brakes at 55 seemed to enhance the noise. I went back to the garage a couple of weeks later for an oil change and mentioned the noises. The mechanic drove the vehicle and checked his work and said he saw nothing and suggested maybe it was tire related. I'm 72 and have never had a "tire problem" show up like this after a brake job.

So I kept driving the car and keeping a mental note of how the vehicle was performing overall and it seemed good.

It has now been 4 months and this is where we stand. The vehicle starts out each day quiet, drives straight and does not pull - for about 10-15 miles. Then the humming starts from somewhere in the rear. At times I hear vibrations from loose items in the back seat.

I'm planning on going to the Ford dealer soon but don't know how to really relay my experience and have them duplicate it and fix it. Is this a common problem in Expeditions?

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I purchased a 2017 Expedition 2 years ago and it is the greatest vehicle we have ever owned. We now have 81K on it and it performs excellent except for one small problem that showed up after a brake job. The brake job consisted of new pads and rotors all around and cost $700 at a small garage where I have started doing business.

Shortly after the brake job I stated noticiing a noise coming from the rear at speeds of about 45-55mph. It smoothed out above 60 and below 40. I thought of tire imbalance but I got no sensation in the steering wheel. Applying brakes at 55 seemed to enhance the noise. I went back to the garage a couple of weeks later for an oil change and mentioned the noises. The mechanic drove the vehicle and checked his work and said he saw nothing and suggested maybe it was tire related. I'm 72 and have never had a "tire problem" show up like this after a brake job.

So I kept driving the car and keeping a mental note of how the vehicle was performing overall and it seemed good.

It has now been 4 months and this is where we stand. The vehicle starts out each day quiet, drives straight and does not pull - for about 10-15 miles. Then the humming starts from somewhere in the rear. At times I hear vibrations from loose items in the back seat.

I'm planning on going to the Ford dealer soon but don't know how to really relay my experience and have them duplicate it and fix it. Is this a common problem in Expeditions?[/QUOTE]
Not common..........maybe an axle bearing

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Were the parking brakes part of that brake job? Could it be something with that?
The mechanic drove the vehicle and checked his work and said he saw nothing and suggested maybe it was tire related. I'm 72 and have never had a "tire problem" show up like this after a brake job.

Just makes the shop guy very suspicious trying to blame the tires. Seems like he knows something he not telling.
Put the vehicle up on ramps/jack stands and take a look for anything that doesn't look right underneath.

My brother in law had similar problem. Little shop told him it was tire issues, ended up being the truck fell off the lift at the shop.(Not that it is your problem, just Shop guy saying tire related reminded me of that story)

Goofy173

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It does sound like a tire issue being it's after some miles, they would be heating up. Rotate the tires would be the next and cheapest check.

Another check would be as you roll to a stop, and there's absolutely no pull, and then again with light and then another with heavy braking, and still no pull, I wouldn't think it's a brake issue.

OP
OP
Stotadude

Stotadude

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I took it to the Ford dealer last week and had them do a thorough check and test drive. They found nothing wrong or of concern. So I guess tires is a logical choice next. Not sure whether to do a rotation or just balance on rear tires. At least I don't have to worry about the rear end flaming out.