Strange noise affecting our ears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WifeyExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check this out. Have you ever noticed when your child rolls down their window in the second row that it aggravates your ears?

We have the same issue with our kids (in the second row) running their seat heaters wide open.

At about 40-50 mph, our ears hurt from that strange sound. Basically I told the kids to not run the seat heaters in the second row.

Any ideas? Has anyone ever heard of this?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
You're not talking about Helmholtz Resonance, are you? That's the buffeting that the wind makes with a single back window open.

It's the same principle that makes a bottle hum when you blow over its open top.

The Ford owners' manual touches on it.

OP
OP
WifeyExpedition

WifeyExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will have to look in the manual. [emoji23]
You're not talking about Helmholtz Resonance, are you? That's the buffeting that the wind makes with a single back window open.

It's the same principle that makes a bottle hum when you blow over its open top.

The Ford owners' manual touches on it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry. I see that now. That is really odd that the seat heaters cause that.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Not sure if those rear seat heaters/coolers have a blower or not. If there's a fan, there's your answer. Check the filters and make sure they aren't restricted or loose. If the thing uses an electronic cooler, well then you have to figure out what type of oscillation they can cause.

Last edited:

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
not talking about the window being down though... But getting the same effect when the rear seat heaters is on.
So I understand....you get the oil canning/drumming noise (like the rear windows are open while moving) when you turn on the rear seat heaters?

Is it the same intensity?

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Second row heated seats use an electric heating element. Not the Peltier style heating/cooling fan driven units used on the first row.

I'd be curious if the noise can be isolated to the left or right seat? There are two heating pads per side - 1 @ seat bottom and 1 @ seat back.

If the noise originates from is just one side, I'd tilt that seat forward and see if you can identify the heating element cable and unplug it if possible. Should be a 2 wire connector. Basically process of elimination - left or right seat, then upper or lower element.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire