Strong Fuel Smell after Refueling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jon P

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

On our 2015 Expy, after filling up the fuel tank, to full, I notice a strong smell outside and around the fuel filler. I got down on the ground and looked underneath and could not find any obvious fuel spills. After driving a short distance and the fuel level goes down a bit and the smell goes away. The smell is only on the outside and strongest directly underneath by the filler neck.

Anybody experience this before? Next time I fill it up I'll be sure to look more closely underneath to see if there is an actual fuel spill.

Jon

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gasoline has a strong, long-lasting odor, and it doesn't take much to notice it. Step in a drop or two at the pump, then get in your car. It'll smell for days. If there are no signs of continuing leakage (wet spots anywhere), don't worry about it.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

On our 2015 Expy, after filling up the fuel tank, to full, I notice a strong smell outside and around the fuel filler. I got down on the ground and looked underneath and could not find any obvious fuel spills. After driving a short distance and the fuel level goes down a bit and the smell goes away. The smell is only on the outside and strongest directly underneath by the filler neck.

Anybody experience this before? Next time I fill it up I'll be sure to look more closely underneath to see if there is an actual fuel spill.

Jon
is this a serious post? Come on man... have you ever heard of benzene? its a light end in gasoline and a strong carcinogen. I get a really strong smell of gas when I'm standing at a gas pump that's got gasoline in it, on it, around it... common sense dude

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
like I honestly cannot believe this question was asked... hope you didn't go sniffing around too much trying to find where the GAS smell was coming from at a GAS station after putting a full tank of GAS in your GAS tank

OP
OP
Jon P

Jon P

Reaction score
Guys, reread my post and I see my post might lead you to believe I was at the gas station when I noticed the smell, sorry for that. The fuel smell was noticed while parked in the garage overnight and after fueling.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Guys, reread my post and I see my post might lead you to believe I was at the gas station when I noticed the smell, sorry for that. The fuel smell was noticed while parked in the garage overnight and after fueling.

I suspect you have a leak (which can be leaking fumes and not liquid), and that is why you smell the gas fumes.

You may know this - but you should never add more fuel once the fuel nozzle shuts off. I even think this is mentioned in the owner’s manual, and prevents the system from being overfilled and forcing liquid into the vapor canister.

You may want to take the vehicle to the dealer for evaluation.

You should probably ignore some of the rude, unhelpful replies. Good luck.

(I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4).

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jon,

Just some thoughts. I noticed when I’m filling my truck that if I top off (please people don’t waste your breath with the top off charcoal canister nagging) the excess fuel actually drips down onto the ground from underneath the truck somewhere. I assumed this was ford engineering making sure that we don’t dribble fuel down the side of our paint underneath our fuel door. Wherever that fuel dribbles out could be the source of your smell. Could also be the canister does need a dry out. Toyota Land Cruisers are known for filling the cab with a fuel smell during a fill and it had something to do with the charcoal canisters. Since yours is a 2015 (like mine) I highly doubt you have a leak somewhere. I’m curious if you are topping off or just letting it click off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
I fill until the pumps stops itself from backflow. Then top off to nearest whole dollar. Never had an issue and always seeing around 515 miles to empty