Strong Fuel Smell after Refueling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually set the pump to $65 and let it roll till it stops if I’m low, I try not to go under a quarter tank since gasoline is a heat sync for the fuel pump. Idk I’ve topped mine off plenty of times and never get a strong gas smell, but I don’t go crazy overfilling it, you will get a smell of you do.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m so thankful for a normal crowd here. On another forum, this thread would have morphed into a “why not to top off” thread.... you guys are generally a enjoyable bunch to chat with on here. Anyway, when you fill up you show 515 miles until empty? What is your average MPG?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I filled up on Saturday. Filled till it clicked, filled some more until it clicked again, and then added more until it clicked again and then gave it another shot or two for good measure. :biggrin:

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
I’m so thankful for a normal crowd here. On another forum, this thread would have morphed into a “why not to top off” thread.... you guys are generally a enjoyable bunch to chat with on here. Anyway, when you fill up you show 515 miles until empty? What is your average MPG?

17-18

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok. I haven’t been able to get mine to read that high on the DTE unless I’m driving like a grandma which I did the other day on a 300 mile trip:
599312ef0c8ccc15872397067e7caf8a.jpg2b84ae818ccd5478ab692450e909f65e.jpg

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Ok. I haven’t been able to get mine to read that high on the DTE unless I’m driving like a grandma which I did the other day on a 300 mile trip:
599312ef0c8ccc15872397067e7caf8a.jpg2b84ae818ccd5478ab692450e909f65e.jpg

It’s either Eco or boost. Can’t have both. Eco is there if you can find a sweet spot and drive like grandma. Boost is there whenever you need it. You want boost, you ain’t gonna get eco and vice versa. As soon as you come off highway, there goes ur mpgs

razrback

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi, I have the same issue with fumes after refilling. I don't overdo fill up either. Like you, I've done a cursory look, but no wet spots. I thought the fill neck was leaking, but no visible signs there either. Smell appears to be in the gas cap to drivers door area. I've never noticed inside of car. I plan on opening up the fuel filter door to see if anything is going on there.

So, if you find out anything, let's is know.

OP
OP
Jon P

Jon P

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your input. I am one of those who tries to get the last drop in the tank....next fill up will be at the end of this week and this time I will stop at the first click.

I'll let you know if that helps.

Thanks again
Jon

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Smell appears to be in the gas cap to drivers door area.

Really?! Are you serious, smell of GAS in the GAS Cap!!!! Come on guys common sense, gas vapors are dense they hang around for a while, we can smell concnetraions as small as 1/4 of 1ppm. Nobody is using common sense
here apparently. It’s freakin has people! The shit smells, it gets on your clothes, in ur car, on your hands. Chill out, if there’s not a puddle under ur car then forget about it. Jesus...

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Should I be worried that I have a really strong exhaust smell if I put my nose in my tail pipe and turn the truck on?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69