Struts- Bare or Assembly?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tpndrcn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I need a new set of front shocks for my 2010 Expedition El 4x4 and looking for recommendations. I am most likely going to buy some off rockauto and they offer Motorcraft bare struts, Moog loaded assemblies,or Monroe loaded assemblies. I am not looking for anymore than what that stock ride offered but definitely don't want less. I don't need them to lift it either. I currently have 119,*** on the installed ones now. Any help would be appreciated, I am leaning towards the Moog assemblies right now.

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did just struts on the rear of mine. Went with Bilstein. Really happy so far. I don't think the front would be a whole lot different. Plan to go the same route if/when the fronts need done.

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
+1 on what Andy said... something to be said for a set of assembled coil overs. It would simplify the task quite a bit.

OP
OP
tpndrcn

tpndrcn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sjwelds where did you find Bilstein's because I can't find the online for a third gen?

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pretty sure I found them on eBay. I don't remember having any problems finding both front and rear; strange that you can't seem to locate them...

ztruke

Reaction score
Your post is eerily coincidental, for my expy (2011 EL XL 4wd, 50K miles) is at the shop as I write having its struts replaced. So, of course, I just went through the throes that are about to beset you. I did EXTENSIVE research, mistakenly bought some chinese coil-overs (also called loaded struts and fully assembled shocks, etc) thinking I could do it myself. Couldn't get the first wheel off the truck without dropping the vehicle onto the garage floor to break the seal...inauspicious beginning (recommend you apply anti-seize compound when wheels go back on). When I couldn't break torque on the lower strut bolt with everything I had (short of a pneumatic impact driver which I don't have) I gave up, returned the coilovers and bought *** made KYB struts to go with my existing springs and hardware. I've read where US and *** struts are the best and KYB the best of the latter. They make coilovers, called Struts Plus, for Gen 2 and perhaps earlier models but they are not available for the Gen 3 expy otherwise I would have bought them. Seemingly, the Chinese have cornered the market on struts for our vehicle, so beware some sellers don't tell you this. Were I you, I would not undertake installing struts using your existing springs for the reasons mentioned above. I'm not trying to steer you in any direction. Just sharing my hard earned lesson. If you like, I will report the results of my strut installation in another post after I've had a chance to feel them out. Would be interested in hearing your experience. Thanks and good luck.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My daughters 2012 EL "blew" a rear shock. I am a pretty handy guy so I considered replacing them myself. After I looked at the SIZE OF THOSE REAR SPRINGS I told her to take it to the shop I use and have it done there. I am pretty certain the installed Monroe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tpndrcn

tpndrcn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the mechanical ability either way assembled or bare because I used to be a tech, I am more just wondering what brand of struts people have had the best luck with. Both inner CV boots are torn too so I'll be doing axle shafts at the same time

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rancho 9000xl quicklift assemblies currently cost about the same as monroes, after rebate

Imho, dont attempt install without a decent impact driver