Stuck at gas station truck won’t start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got it into neutral a few of us rolled it into a spot. The red anti theft light is staying illuminated when I turn the key.

Going to try disconnecting battery for a bit but I think ultimately she’s going to be put on a flatbed and sent off to the dealer. Also going to hit the starter with a hammer for sh*ts and giggles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spare key is also being treated like it doesn’t belong to the truck

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Loki I owe you one! I left it unplugged for a while and she started up! Thank you thank you!

No Problem!

Yeah, It’s a damn Computer with a Motor Attached.

The Keep Alive Memory was most likely corrupted in some way. By you disconnecting the battery and draining all residual power, it gets completely cleared. Apply power back and it has to reload from scratch.

If you start having to do that more often than every once in a while, you have a ECM or BCM going bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
That's a cool trick. Was it the headlights you turn to ON?

Is that the same effect as this?

Kinda funny. I was driving in pouring rain today and wanted to make sure my lights were on ... Didn't actually know which position that was. Had to Try it later to learn

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's a cool trick. Was it the headlights you turn to ON?

Is that the same effect as this?

Kinda funny. I was driving in pouring rain today and wanted to make sure my lights were on ... Didn't actually know which position that was. Had to Try it later to learn

Similar.

I do not recommend that method. If done incorrectly, it can actually Damage sensitive electronics. Removing the battery cables completely and opening a manual circuit like a headlight switch, causes an open circuit and creates enough draw to drain the capacitors and wipe the KAM.

Also, I don’t carry a wire around in my truck. The method I laid out can be done by anybody, on most places with very simple tools.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Similar.

I do not recommend that method. If done incorrectly, it can actually Damage sensitive electronics. Removing the battery cables completely and opening a manual circuit like a headlight switch, causes an open circuit and creates enough draw to drain the capacitors and wipe the KAM.

Also, I don’t carry a wire around in my truck. The method I laid out can be done by anybody, on most places with very simple tools.

IIRC, pulling the battery cables resets the powertrain and clears the fault codes, but does not reset the drivetrain (transmission). Shorting, described in the video, will reset everything. I don't have empirical data on that, though.