• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buy a moped

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Take the bus

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Choop101

Reaction score
I've been driving suburbans since '86, I've had 5 and I just switched 2 weeks ago. I thought I'd share my impressions, I've got thick skin so bring on your responses.

Initial reasons for considering: reputation, view from inside, GMs debt, volt etc.

I bought a 2013 EL limited 4x4, sold my 2007 Z71 with 98k miles.

When I went to look at suburbans, my impression was "this hasn't changed one bit" I asked the salesman about Bluetooth beyond simple phone connectivity and he looked at me like a had a third eye. Eventually he admitted that Chevy is "a little behind on the times"

The Ford was very similarly priced and while ordering and taking delivery my expectations were that I'd be receiving a vastly better vehicle. After a couple weeks, I'm realizing that they are pretty similar. I was surprised how loud the expy is on the hwy- I guess I should be, it is a box. And it seems a little top heavy on hwy, but maybe this is brand new tires?

Here is my pro con list on expy versus suburban.

Pros:
Much better in town ride. More solid, cornering and suspension.

Second row seat functionality and versatility.

Third row seats much more convenient.

Much easier to see out, passing and backing. I guess the c and d pillars are narrower.

Rear hatch window easier to reach over and larger.

Sync, connectivity, navigation vastly superior.

Rear vents are nice. Stops buffeting when one rear window is open.

Hwy pickup better, maybe because my suburban is old.

Seats slightly more comfortable.

Cons:

Ugly, looks top heavy. Personal preference.

Why is the hatch close button in the cargo area, when its full, you can't find the button. Put it on the door edge.

Rear windows don't go down all the way. Only the drivers window has auto.

Stereo sucks compared to stock suburban. Sounds muffled, no mid.

Loud on hwy.

Armrests (console) hard and uncomfortable. Interior plastic very angular and dated.

Console very small, rear compartment storage (small spaces) limited. Where to put tool kit, cables, Umbrella if they won't fit in in-floor storage.

Gauges hard to read and ugly with the white and chrome- poor effort.

Ac controls and the 7 segment LED need a revamp, gm better.

Gear shift takes up console space.

I know some of these cons are coming from a long time suburban owner who is having trouble getting adjusted.

I'm leasing for 2 years so I may switch back, let me know your thoughts.

Last edited:

whowey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Enjoy it or don't the way you want.

The 'burb and Expy are sold the exact same market segment, so of course they are going to be similar.

I've only driven the new editions of either as rentals... and after the first few days they all start to look/feel/drive the same.

So sit down.. enjoy the conversations here, the beer is sorta cold and the couches are made from the broken unit bodies of the Priuses we have 'accidently' run over getting to the gas pumps.

and Ford took as many gooberment dollars as the others. Just when it came to that last meal at the through, Billy Boy just couldn't stomach giving up control.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
There will be differences and its up to you to decide which you like best overall.

I vote you decide which you prefer.

Last edited:

thatguy

Reaction score
I think you're nit picking....... but its your thread and your right.

BIGRED03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have owning two of each, first two Subs and then two Exps I have some definite feelings about each. I had always been a GM buyer until I drove a friends Expedition. I was shocked on how well it handled. At that time I was towing a heavy boat about 150 miles round trip thru Atlanta frequently with eight passengers and camping gear. The independent rear suspension alone sold me on the Expy and the rear windows vent openings are a nice touch. The engine, well the 350 certainly has this over the 5.4 hands down. I wish there was an easy fix to getting more out of it. I think the 6.2 is available for the Sub as well. Other than the engine and lack of hybrid option Ford does well with the Expy. The Expy is over due for a model change we will see who wins the next round at least I looked at a Sub this time around.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yukon/suburban reminded me of driving a sofa down the road

any ways drive what you want

andrew_s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will admit I looked at tahoes/suburbans when I was purchasing. To compare the GM offerings to the Ford offerings is a test in futility as I have never seen such a close cross brand comparison between 2 vehicles.

That being said drive whatever makes you happy. While I love my buddies z71 tahoe, I just feel the 5.4 performs cleaner and better as well as feeling a bit more solid (both are equally as tough/rugged/solid) add in the flat folding 3rd row with better room and more for your money and I was sold on the Ford. Both are rock solid platforms with years of proven work, fleet and personal use that make either a solid choice.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was looking for a 3/4 ton Suburban before we bought the Expy. I couldn't find one close enough. And the Suburbans and Tahoes I found were ridiculously priced. The price and the folding 3rd row sold me on the Expy.

But that's just one man's opinion.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk