Subwoofer suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FORDTECH

Reaction score
Looking to install some amps and a sub to my 04 expy any suggestions as to where and how? Has anyone made something that will fit in the stock sub location? And where did you mount your amps? Dont want a big box in the cargo area.

davesexplorer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used to have the entire cargo area filled with a sub box but have taken that out and for about a year have been bassless. Both side panels in the rear have a decent amount of airspace behind the plastic. Fiberglassing a sub enclosure into those locations is very possible but would probably cost a lil bit if you're paying someone to do that. I'm thinking about taking my 3rd row out and sinking an enclosure into that space. I dont know about anything that replaces the factory stuff.

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2000...not sure how different it is...but I fiberglassed a sealed box into the factory sub location (I didn't have the factory sub, though, since its optional). The box I made replaced the cargo pocket in the rightside rear interior panel. It's about .5 cubic foot. I managed to squeeze an Elemental Designs 11.kv in there (which works well in that size space). I'm running it off an Alpine PDX, which I hid in the bottom of the center console. The system is really stealth and factory looking, but packs a punch considering it is not visually noticeable and took up virtually no space.

If you are planning on paying to have someone do this kind of work, expect to pay a ton for fabrication and installation.

If you do it yourself, you will pay about 1/3 of the price overall, but you will spend hours and hours (depending on your skills) getting it right and finished. It's definetly not a task for those with limited time or capabilities.

Another option would be an MTX Thunderform, JL Stealthbox, or a Q-Logic box. One of these companies must have a vehicle-specific box for your needs.

If you have any other questions, let me know. I can recommend products or even show you some pics of my project to help. Good luck!