Sudden issues with power loss and more

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've been having issues with my 03 Expidition. Currently it has had an issue with major power loss and decrease in gas mileage. Tested the fuel pressure and it appears to be solid. I purchased the Expidition back Ju e 2018. I had an issue with the a misfire due to ignition coils 1&2 being shot. Replaced just those 2 ignition coils and all plugs to motorcraft platinum.

This new issues had my puzzled. Whenever I give it more than 1/4 throttle it just revs high and bogs down. I had my friend use his scanner today and this came up.

Has anyone had any of these codes come up and had these issues?

20190201_134238.jpg

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Revs high, and bogs down, sounds like your transmission slipping. Or is it just no power? If that's the case, I'd look into a plugged catalytic converter. Very well possible, especially with those coils misfiring from past owner. What was your running fuel pressure? Should have been 28-45psi. Also post any codes you came up with. Is that p074 from your scanner?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd be looking for a cracked vacuum tube in the intake system. If you have access to a smoke machine, that's the fastest way to find it. Although you can do a quick check of the common leak areas. The PCV hose elbow at the rear of the intake manifold would be a good start. The evap supply hose would be another. The computer is probably over compensating for the vacuum leak at certain points in the rpm range and throwing the rich code.

These are good smoke machines if you already have a compressor for air ....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/152246518471?hash=item23729982c7

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Revs high, and bogs down, sounds like your transmission slipping. Or is it just no power? If that's the case, I'd look into a plugged catalytic converter. Very well possible, especially with those coils misfiring from past owner. What was your running fuel pressure? Should have been 28-45psi. Also post any codes you came up with. Is that p074 from your scanner?

+1 on the clogged Cat! I had the same thing a few years ago on mine. It was so slow it couldn't get out of its own way... Installed new Cats on one side, problem fixed. Although now the other side honeycomb inside the cat is rattling, so will be doing that side soon!

OP
OP
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Yes there was a transmission issue due to having approx 600-700 mls of the wrong fluid in it as well as 1/3 bottle of the thick Lucas transmission fix, and it was a hair overfilled... Was driving around like that for a month. A week ago I took off the transmission pan, replaced the transmission filter, and fixed a leak at the pressure line that goes into the tranny cooler. I put in the correct Synthetic fluid in the tranny with 1 bottle of Sea Foam Hydro Trans Tune to thin the rest of the fluid that was in the torque converter and so on. That seemed to make the transmission drive a little better. Cleared all codes by disconnecting the battery and drove it for a day and that's when these codes came up.

There has been some excess engine/exhaust noise coming from the right side of the engine bay. I've read on other sites online and these codes P0172 to rich and P0174 to lean seem to be common with plugged cats on that right side.

It doesn't rev as high and as badly now that I've fixed the transmission a bit, but it still has ZERO power past 1/4 throttle if that. It has all the normal power and torque at around quarter throttle and up to 40-50 kms (Canadian) but anything past it seems like it's fighting something.

OP
OP
Reaction score
My mechanic friend who had the scanner and fuel pressure tester did those for me. He checked the fuel pressure for me while I revved the engine and said it was perfect so I don't know. He used to be the head service advisor at Ford so I trust he knows what the fuel pressure should be.

I checked them and they seem to be fine. No holes cracks or anything I can see.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t ever use Lucas Stop Slip unless you actually have an issue. The only product Lucas has that is safe for healthy trans is “trans fluid conditioner” which is a friction modifier for higher mileage transmissions. It is much thinner than the the trans fix or stop slip fluids.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm with J. These Transmissions don't like additives. Next step is you or a shop take a back pressure reading of your 4 cats. Any muffler or repair shop can do that. Sounds like your fighting both engine and transmission issues. Might get pricey to fix. It's an older high mileage SUV. As always, you have to weigh your money outlay, with what's it worth? An 03 Expedition even with low mileage, which yours isn't, only command about $3,000 U.S. dollars. Your transmission is going to be that much. Keep in touch what they find.