Sudden issues with power loss and more

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got my trans rebuilt by AAMCO transmissions for $1250 about 4 years ago, with a 3 year 36k warranty.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Damn John, that's cheap. Avg price for a remanned trans in the Bay area, averages around $2500.00 on up.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I finally took it to a muffler shop a couple of weeks ago and got my cats tested. Turned out my passenger side cat was completely plugged which made perfect sense. I got them to cut off the cats on both sides and weld pipe in. Now it runs and sounds great.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad you got it fixed. Dont you have smog checks or vehicle inspections there in Canada? They generally look for all 4 cats. Did removing the cats trip the check engine dash light?

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I finally took it to a muffler shop a couple of weeks ago and got my cats tested. Turned out my passenger side cat was completely plugged which made perfect sense. I got them to cut off the cats on both sides and weld pipe in. Now it runs and sounds great.

That's the kind of stuff we shouldn't post online.
Is Canada allowed to do that??
Probably!!! Just another example of how they feed the US this bunch of BS about a free country and there are lots of places you can live and be more left alone by govt (federal, state and local) than in the US.
no shop will do that here unless you know someone.
It is big time illegal. I think they can still fine a shop 100K for it.
People can actually be fined 10K bu they can't enforce it.

We use to buy "test pipes " they made for performance cars....you know for test purposes.
We could bolt or weld them in to get rid of converters.

Screw CA smog and their forced emissions on the whole country. My whole state is soybean and corn fields and had NEVER had a air quality problem. But we didn't get to worry about it when it happened like CA. We got forced to have the crap we never needed and still wouldn't to this day.
I'm a little bitter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Toby, you need a cocktail buddy. Like the country singer Alan Jackson sang, it's 5:00 somewhere. Here in California, back in the 70's smog was so bad, you couldn't breathe. I took a trip to Los Angeles in 1974 on my motorcycle. It was so bad in August, my girlfriend and I had to head back to SF. These days you can travel through the LA basin in July/August, and you can breathe. Unleaded fuel used, catalytic converters and all the other crap reduced or removed. It all adds up, spray cans, high impact car paints like Lacquer, single stage enamels. R12 freon, which I loved too for Max cold. Makes you wonder how much more this 3rd rock from the sun can take, and rebuild.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Toby, you need a cocktail buddy. Like the country singer Alan Jackson sang, it's 5:00 somewhere. Here in California, back in the 70's smog was so bad, you couldn't breathe. I took a trip to Los Angeles in 1974 on my motorcycle. It was so bad in August, my girlfriend and I had to head back to SF. These days you can travel through the LA basin in July/August, and you can breathe. Unleaded fuel used, catalytic converters and all the other crap reduced or removed. It all adds up, spray cans, high impact car paints like Lacquer, single stage enamels. R12 freon, which I loved too for Max cold. Makes you wonder how much more this 3rd rock from the sun can take, and rebuild.

And I just missed National Margarita day.
Shucks!
I have definitely heard stories like yours and I definitely believe that California had a massive smog problem in the 70s. The part that hurts me is that what they did to clean up there are filtered almost instantly to every other state in the country. When Wisconsin, Ohio, Kansas, etc, etc, etc had no air quality problems at all. I would have been fine for them to cross that road when they came to it but I'm telling you with most of Ohio being corn and soybean fields they were never going to get to those levels.
Many of these states were probably 60 to a hundred years behind the levels California had and I honestly believe they would have never gotten to that point because of the lack of population.
But the all-knowing government's fear mongers decided to step in and regulate every state.

Plati

Reaction score
Yeah. Everyone has opinions. That is allowed in this country. Believe or not in some countries its not allowed, they behead you. Free doesn't mean free to do anything you want. The population voted for the emissions laws and can vote them out if existence. That's freedom.

I'm in Colorado. I was here in the mountains skiing in 1974. The smog air pollution was bad on certain days. Doesn't seem to be an issue now. Reason is cars have changed. Catalytic converters are a big part of that. You can breathe air like in China if you want but I don't want to.

Go to Salt Lake City sometime and see how nice that air is on bad days.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't believe this population voting on these laws thing you speak of. Maybe in some areas but once the government gets involved with something it snowballs and they start making lots of rules restrictions and regulations. And it's much harder to get rid of something there is to start something. Almost impossible.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A classic example of what Toby said, is Harley Davidson was being strangled back in the 60's with one warranty repair after another, just because they refused to change their cylinder and head design over to aluminum, and fix their poor oiling problems. Well being the only American motorcycle company left, and with such pull with politicians, they allowed all motorcycles to lane split in most states, to keep their bikes cool, and not overheat. Their air cooled as most know. The Ironic part is the law never changed 55 years later. Motorcycles are either water cooled, or all aluminum as in Harley's case. They keep going in even 110 degree weather these days. But like Toby said, once on the books, it rarely gets reversed. We have more motorcycle accidents due to this law. Individuals take it beyond the law. The original law stated at 20mph or below motorcycles can drive between cars, just not on the shoulder. We have idiots doing it at 70mph. One slip of a impeding car, and Bam, scooter down!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gnorman