SUdden onset of warning lights for brakes, abs, traction control, and back HVAC now clunking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nightfly

Reanimator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Came out late last night in the cold, and after starting up (starts fine), the hvac was thumping like one of the door motors has broken it's shaft to door connection, both brake warning lights are lit even though the fluid levels is okay (and I had the brakes/disks/hubs all replaced back in June 2018), the traction control light goes on and off at intermittent times even if I'm not moving or driving straight on dry asphalt; tapping the traction control switch doesn't change anything. Then the navigation stopped working and says a fault has occurred.
Is my main computer dying or something? I tried an OBD2 plug in to the connector below the steering wheel, but neither mine nor my friend's will connect with our blue tooth phones.
I'm worried about trying to drive home tonight (christmas night).

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What year/ model?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
nightfly

nightfly

Reanimator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry. Thought that I had put that in a sig.

2008 Expy standard (fleet type, no frills). Automatic, column shift, no sunroof.

I never used the rear a/c so that was a surprise when it started to make noise.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
2008 SSV: Alternator diode problem, belt broken, battery almost dead? Wiring corrosion or problem where the police stuff was removed?

Try disconnecting the battery after it's started and see if it dies. If it does, the alternator is bad.

OP
OP
nightfly

nightfly

Reanimator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Battery is new and reads fine, belts are good, no corrosion on contacts that I can find (not perfectly shiny but no white stuff on them), couldn't find anything myself. Gave up and am bringing it to the shop where they hopefully can read the obd2 info.

OP
OP
nightfly

nightfly

Reanimator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Battery replaced as preventitive maintenance. Purchased this truck in February 2017, battery of unknown age. I drive from NJ to AZ several times a year, and don't want any surprises 100 miles from any service/parts place. So battery was at least 2 years old. Replaced with a new one from walmart, Everstart maxx (based on reviews on consumer reports, they're turnover of batteries is so much that you're pretty much guaranteed one that was manufactured within the past month. Plus easy to return if they are a problem, as Walmart is all over the map. Dropped car off at service center this morning. I'll let everyone know what they find.
Edit battery was tested with voltage meter and one of those load testing devices. So far it's normal.

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I'm going to guess it's a power quality problem. So probably no meaningful OBD2 data. Either the alternator has a bad diode, there's an intermittent internal fault with the Chinese Walmart battery or there's loose or corroded wiring. Hopefully the "service center" you've engaged isn't just some monkey-hammer chain and they own a meter and can troubleshoot this stuff. Curious problem.

I rented a 2016 once that did this whenever I jumped a curb. I stopped jumping curbs for fear it would shut down.

OP
OP
nightfly

nightfly

Reanimator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had them service the truck before, without any oddball repairs being required. I just hate paying for stuff that I could have done myself, if I was at home with my own equipment (I'm on christmas vacation, 2500 miles away from home. I now live in Arizona, having moved from NJ last year. This is the mechanic that has worked on my vehicles for the past, oh, 6 years. They tend to do good work. I still hate to spend money on stuff that I feel I could have done myself, though).
Just got the call; some brake sensor module. They tell me the trans fluid and txfer case fluid need replacing; last transmission fluid change was only 6 months ago, after the last cross continent trip, when they said the transmission fluid looked burnt, I checked and it was dark brown despite having been changed less than 6 months ago. I guess I'm going to have to put in the transmission cooler from the diesel F250, as I'm not pulling a trailer or anything (I don't pull a trailer, but DO drive at around 85 to 90 mph across the hot desert plains including up and down the mountains with a full load of stuff). Until I'm home in AZ and can do my own work, I'm at the mercy of the garage mechanics, though. At least I'll have my truck back tomorrow. More to come.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Battery replaced as preventitive maintenance. Purchased this truck in February 2017, battery of unknown age. I drive from NJ to AZ several times a year, and don't want any surprises 100 miles from any service/parts place. So battery was at least 2 years old. Replaced with a new one from walmart, Everstart maxx (based on reviews on consumer reports, they're turnover of batteries is so much that you're pretty much guaranteed one that was manufactured within the past month. Plus easy to return if they are a problem, as Walmart is all over the map. Dropped car off at service center this morning. I'll let everyone know what they find.
Edit battery was tested with voltage meter and one of those load testing devices. So far it's normal.
Pro Tip: Every car battery will have a date of manufacture on it somewhere. Some look like this one (August 2014):
001_Untitled01.jpg

Others will have a Month and Year punch-out sticker, while others still will have cryptic codes that have to be deciphered. Those are usually melted into the carcass somewhere inconvenient to see.