Sunroof broke in vent mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All that for some rain to drop on your noggin. Got to be at least 6 hours minimum if you have to yank the headliner and seats. Why do the seats have to be removed to do the roof though. Headliner I understand, I would think you could work around the seat part.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i think the seat removal is so the tech can not screw them up climbing in and out and or drop a greasy track.??

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All that for some rain to drop on your noggin. Got to be at least 6 hours minimum if you have to yank the headliner and seats. Why do the seats have to be removed to do the roof though. Headliner I understand, I would think you could work around the seat part.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

They don't need to be removed. Service manual only indicates removal of the headliner. We can only guess why that one shop removed them. :)

OP
OP
H

Himzka

Reaction score
Yeah Flexpedition, I can see what broke. Its this little plastic thing that has one peg on one side and two on the other, they fit inside the metal piece that slides up and down the track. Both sides have broken pieces but it was kinda working and making clicking sounds sometimes when switching between vent mode and open sunroof till the passenger side one snapped. Once I removed the glass panel I could see very well. I just wonder if theres a way to A) purchase only those little plastic mounts, and B) be able to slide those mounts back in the rail without the massive work that is accessing the sunroof cassette from the headliner.

Dbdors

Reaction score
I have had the same problem for a couple of years on a 2012. Some times I push the wrong button to open the rear windows and the roof pops up. I just lift it up, and use a flat screwdriver to slide the two track out of the way and the window drops back down.

I rally don't want to spend the time or pay some one $1500 to repair (quote I got from an independent shop). My Ford shop didn't even want to look at it. They said I wont like the price so I should take it to an independent shop.

I must say that I am really disappointed in Ford. This is my second Expi. 2003 and now 2012. Things like this where it seems lots of vehicles (Expi and F150, etc) have the same issue and still having blend door actuator issues for over 15 years of ownership, says that there are a lot of inherent issues.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah Flexpedition, I can see what broke. Its this little plastic thing that has one peg on one side and two on the other, they fit inside the metal piece that slides up and down the track. Both sides have broken pieces but it was kinda working and making clicking sounds sometimes when switching between vent mode and open sunroof till the passenger side one snapped. Once I removed the glass panel I could see very well. I just wonder if theres a way to A) purchase only those little plastic mounts, and B) be able to slide those mounts back in the rail without the massive work that is accessing the sunroof cassette from the headliner.
Junk yard, baby.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They don't need to be removed. Service manual only indicates removal of the headliner. We can only guess why that one shop removed them. :)
2013 f150 book does state very clearly to remove seats, console and headliner. i am sure expy may be different, but yes they removed all the seats and console

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2013 f150 book does state very clearly to remove seats, console and headliner. i am sure expy may be different, but yes they removed all the seats and console

2010-11 F150 seat removal is not indicated. 2013 is the same gen, so I would be surprised if the service manual says to remove it. I don't doubt they did it; I just question whether the service manual indicates that they needed to do so. I'm not really concerned either way though as I will never own an F150. :D

2010-11 F150:

Roof Opening Panel Frame
Removal and Installation

NOTE: The roof opening panel motor must be initialized when repairs are carried out on any part of the roof opening panel, including: whenever the roof opening panel motor has been removed from the roof opening panel assembly, a new roof opening panel motor has been installed or when a new roof opening panel frame has been installed. For additional information, refer to Roof Opening Panel Motor Initialization in this section.

1. Remove the roof opening panel air deflector. For additional information, refer to Air Deflector in this section.
  1. Remove the roof opening panel shield. For additional information, refer to Roof Opening Panel Shield in this section.
  1. Remove the overhead console. For additional information, refer to Section 501-12 .
  1. Lower the headliner. For additional information, refer to Section 501-05 .
    • Remove the A-pillar, B-pillar and C-pillar (if equipped) trim panels.
    • Remove the LH and RH sun visors and clips.
    • If equipped, remove the 3 headliner pin-type retainers.
    • If equipped, remove the 2 headliner garment hooks.
    • Disconnect the front and rear headliner electrical connectors.
  1. NOTE: Make sure the drain hoses are not kinked during installation.

Disconnect the 2 roof opening panel front drain hoses from the frame.
  1. NOTE: Make sure the drain hoses are not kinked during installation.

Disconnect the 2 roof opening panel rear drain hoses from the frame.
  1. Remove the 4 roof opening panel frame-to-B-pillar bolts.
    • To install, tighten to 23 Nm (17 lb-ft).
  1. NOTICE: To avoid damage to the roof opening panel frame, be sure to support the frame when removing the mounting bolts.

Remove the 10 roof opening panel frame mounting bolts.
    • To install, tighten to 9 Nm (80 lb-in).
  1. Remove the roof opening panel frame.
  1. NOTE: If installing a new roof opening panel frame, transfer parts as necessary from the existing roof opening panel assembly.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had mine replaced in my 2014. The dealer price was $2800, but due to some owed favors it got done for $1700. Now, as I predicted, my headliner is squeaking, and directly over my head. I hate sunroofs!!

jln815

Reaction score
My husband and I just fixed the sunroof on our 2010 el limited about 6 months ago . We got our kit through sunroof doctor for $109 plus shipping, looks like it would be the same kit for your 2012. We removed the seats before removing the headliner - we took it down completely so not having the seats in made it easier to get it out of the vehicle. We used a video we found on youtube that made it much easier but it still took us most of the day. We had to refer back to the video a few times so it might be better to have it handy during the process. The amount of money we saved by doing it ourselves was worth the time and frustration but neither of us are in any rush to do it again and refuse to use the sunroof now