Sunroof broke in vent mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Himzka

Reaction score
Hello all,

Does anyone have any experience with a broken sunroof?
I found this forum trying to find solutions to my problem but no luck so far.
I just bought a used 2012 Limited EL two weeks ago and the sunroof made a loud pop and got stuck open in vent mode when I was trying to close. A tiny piece of plastic broke off something but I'm not sure what and now it wont close.

If anyone knows of a way to at least manually close the sunroof I'd appreciate the help very much. I haven't even made my first payment on the car and I'm already trying to fix things... not a good feeling :/

Thank you for reading this post.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

You may want to Google how to manually close the sunroof or check an online owners manual on how to close it.

OP
OP
H

Himzka

Reaction score
The manual is the first place I checked and it doesn't say anything about that.
I also did a ton of research on google and I couldn't find anything on it, which makes me think that its not accessible to the user.
This post was my last resort :/

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The manual is the first place I checked and it doesn't say anything about that.
I also did a ton of research on google and I couldn't find anything on it, which makes me think that its not accessible to the user.
This post was my last resort :/

PM me your email address and I'll send you some excerpts from the 2011 Service Manual in a PDF. Should be the same for a 2012.

OP
OP
H

Himzka

Reaction score
Thanks Manuporshutup! I pm'd you.

For the record if anyone else has this problem and is trying to force close the sunroof, this is what I just figured out:

- I was able to manually close the sunroof by taking off the 4 torx screws that secure the glass to the arms. There are two on the driver side and two on the passenger side.
- Once screws are out simply pull the glass up, and you should be able to see and access the arms that tilt up/down and the mechanism that slides back and forward to lift the arms.
- Disengage the arms from the metal pieces that attach to the rails by pulling it sideways and you should be able to push the arm down.
- Replace the glass and put the four torx screws back, leveling the glass with the roofline before tightening the screws.

That way you can buy some time for saving the money for this very expensive repair or do it yourself without having to fear the rain.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my 2013 f150 did this, it ate a few plastic pieces, and jammed a safety switch, we did the similar trick to close it so i could get to the shop
it was a huge event to change it out. practically the entire interior was removed, seats, console, head liner, etc. the system is HUGE.
took the tech 3 days to swap out the old with a new track system.

Plati

Reaction score
I will NEVER own a vehicle with a sunroof

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you see exactly what broke? The motor and cables are rare to fail, leaving the lift arms and cam brackets. Lots of plastic here.

Sunroofdoctor.com (and others) have kits of replacement parts - new lift arms, cam brackets and trough guides - complete kit, about $100 - $125. I've not done one, but many have seen a few well documented on F150 sites.

http://sunroofdoctor.3dcartstores.c...nF150F250F350F450-Sunroof-Repair-Kit_p_8.html

You'll be out some time but not much money. There is a hour + youtube on the above link documenting each step if interested.