Supercharger, turbo, whats best?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DodgeRamAw06

Reaction score
I have a 97 expy 5.4l and I would like more power. I hate when little 4cyl hondas line up beside me and beat me in acceleration. I have a K&N air intake, tornado, glass pack exhaust, and a electronic shift improver. All of this has helped some but I want more. I was thinking of a programmer but I dont want to put premium gas in. The truck has 145000 miles but its still runnin great. Once the engine goes out I'll rebuild it and bore it out to a 350. At the same time I would like to add a supercharger or turbo. Has anyone added aything like this to an expy? What kind of gains were there? I would just like some more power. Is there anything else to add that has good gains? Let me know whats out there for an expy. Thanks

Dustin

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Basically, a turbo is going to help increase your speed in the high rpms, and a supercharger will increase the speed in lower rpms. 4cyl and 6cyl usually rev higher so a turbo is good for them, our v8's get their power in the lower rpms so it's better to get a supercharger.

There's lots of sites that have them if you do a google search, here's one:
www.whipplesuperchargers.com

You'll get atleast 400hp, but on that old of an engine, you'll be rebuilding it soon.

bnvus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by smo0othride
Basically, a turbo is going to help increase your speed in the high rpms, and a supercharger will increase the speed in lower rpms. 4cyl and 6cyl usually rev higher so a turbo is good for them, our v8's get their power in the lower rpms so it's better to get a supercharger.

There's lots of sites that have them if you do a google search, here's one:
www.whipplesuperchargers.com

You'll get atleast 400hp, but on that old of an engine, you'll be rebuilding it soon.

True to a certain extent. A turbo will always be better because it is free power (driven by exhaust). Turbo technology has grown to such an extensive market that the days of "turbo Lag" are all but tuned out by technology. Plus a broken belt on a turbo vehicle will not leave you stranded somewhere.

mustangrfast88

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i was going to say i would rebuild before i would put a supercharger on it and as far as number it just depends what eles you do to it when you put the charger on it