Superchargers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
What's the difference between the L motor and an Expy motor?

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

5.4 PI motors from the heads down are essentially the same with the following exceptions.

All lightnings came with forged crankshafts. Expy's came with cast cranks but I understand at some point they installed forged cranks they had on hand so could not tell you which may or may not have them.

Lightnings had forged lower compression pistons. Expy have higher compression hypereutectic pistons. Forged pistons are far more forgiving but you can run tighter tolerances with the hyper pistons. So typically you only see forged pistons in boosted applications.

Lightnings come with a 6 bolt torque converter thus the flex plate has 6 holes to match. Expy's have 4 bolt converters.

I understand there may be slight differences in the timing cover but not sure what they may be. I had no problem mounting all the lighting hardware on mine.

The 5.4 motors weak link are the powdered metal connecting rods. Beyond 450 ish rwhp (this is well over 500hp at the crank) they have been known to exit the block. Connecting rods should be the first thing you address if you plan to make serious power and or rebuild the block with boost in mind.

Last edited:

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok. I was told years ago the Lightning motors weren't forged at all. I was going to say if that's the case what's the point if dropping in a Lightning engine if it's the same as an Expy engine.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

Expyguru

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No I am positive the pacer plates that MMR make fit a 4.6 . What do u want someone to do all your work for u u need to do the same as I did do a lot of reading and a lot of research before u make a decision . No one helped me . I fond a doner truck amd pulled it all apart sold of most of the parts I sid not need . It came with 5.4 had 31, 000 miles on it bot it for 1, 000 dollars . Then I took my truck apart I took out the 4.6 it 157, 000 miles on her no compression . I installed 5.4 4WR transmission & Transfercase . Front&rear excel . I do now what I am talking a out becquse J& M Motor Sport r the ones who told me abot MMR plates they did not now the name so I went to computer q d started my search . Do your own re search u wont go wrong .

Dude you need to do a lot more research before arguing with guys that have the L swap. The plates you are talking about adapt a 4.6 intake to a 5.4 block. So please don't post until you school yourself some. Or you will be made fun of.

OP
OP
T

Thestiffone

Reaction score
Well since the posting I am going to have to sell my expy thank you for all the help and if it came to it I would've swapped to a lighting motor or a5.4.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Just to be clear, daoud has completed the lightning conversion himself as well. But as he said himself he did it with a 5.4 expedition donor drivetrain. I think he had every intention to install the lightning setup on the 4.6 and believed it was possible though it obviously never happened.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thegerb50